|Job Title:||Registered Nurse/ Registered Psychiatric Nurse - Residential Care|
|Work Site:||Cedarview Lodge - North Vancouver|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Salary:||$33.56 - $44.06 per hour|
|Hours:||0700-1900,1900-0700, 0700-1500, 1500-2300, 2300-0700, 0800-1600|
Practices in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards of professional practice and Code of Ethics for registered nurses / registered psychiatric nurses as well as within a resident and family centered care model and the vision and values of the organization. Uses sound judgment and applies critical thinking skills in providing resident care to predominantly older residents in a residential care setting, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team. Demonstrates expertise and leadership in nursing practice and coordinates the implementation of clinical interventions, evaluation of resident outcomes based on resident goals of care. Acts as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information and coordination of ongoing resident care. Supports the work of RCA’s and LPN’s and supports cohesive team work to ensure resident centered care. Enhances quality of life of the resident/family. Consults, confers, and collaborates with other health care providers. Maintains and advances clinical competence. Participates on designated committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
Skills & Abilities
Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to residents who may have chronic diseases.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology of common medical conditions, aging changes, polypharmacy, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations related to care of adults living in residential care (e.g. Stroke, Chest pain, Pneumonia; Pain management; Wound Care; Delirium; Dementia; Depression; other mental health conditions; Frail elderly residents with physical and/or cognitive impairments including Acquired Brain Injuries; Chronic illnesses such as COPD and CHF, Diabetes).
2. Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations relevant to residents (e.g. Respiratory symptoms such as Shortness of Breath; Pressure Ulcer (Braden Scale); Delirium (PRISME/CAMI); Dementia, (PIECES framework); Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD), GPA - Gentle Persuasion Approach; Dysphagia; Falls; Incontinence).
3. Demonstrated ability in recognizing physical adaptations required to accommodate the frail elderly and/or physically impaired resident population.
4. Demonstrated ability in End of Life care approaches, Embedding Palliative Approach in Residential Care (EPAIRS) and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues. Proactively leads family/resident/Most Responsible Clinician discussions on goals of care and documents reflections of Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment.
5. Demonstrated ability in Chronic Disease Management by being able to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated resident group.
6. Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment such as lifts, oxygen, suction machines, pumps, and other related equipment.
7. Demonstrated ability in developing care plans and able to implement care in relation to resident and family priorities, including counselling and teaching residents and families based on their priorities.
8. Demonstrated skill in the assessment and management of residents with acute/chronic pain management including residents with Cognitive impairment.
9. Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of residents with Oxygen Therapy; VAC Dressing; Wound Care, Catheters, Ostomy Care, Tracheostomy Care, Ventilator Management, and other treatments.
10. Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols, outbreak protocols, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, acute event orders, etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.