|Job Title: ||Social Worker I - Master of Social Work|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital - Tertiary Mental Health, Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Full Time |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible until return of incumbent|
|Salary: ||$33.01 - $41.16 per hour|
RECOVERY, STRENGTH, RESPECT, RESILIENCE
Within the context of a client and family centred Recovery model and in accordance with the vision and values of the organization, this position is responsible for providing advanced clinical and consultative social work services to clients and families focusing on how the client’s relationships are affected by their environment. Conducts comprehensive social and psycho-social assessments. Collaborates with the client and interdisciplinary team to facilitate transitions through the continuum of services for clients with complex discharge and/or intake/referral needs. Provides individual, family and group counselling services. Attends clinical/case conferences as a member of an interdisciplinary team for client reviews, admissions and discharges. Acts as a Designated Responder complying with the Adult Guardianship Legislation. Provides consultative and direct services to clients, families, staff and community health professionals regarding issues such as adult guardianship, advanced directives, domestic violence, abuse and/or neglect, immigration, housing, financial concerns, or matters concerning government agencies (public trustee) and authorities (courts, police). Prepares and maintains client records in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree of Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work.
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience working in a psychiatric setting with individuals who have complex mental health and addictions issues or equivalent.
- Valid BC Drivers License.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with clients, families, team members, other groups and community agency personnel.
- Broad knowledge of mental illness and addictions treatment.
- Broad knowledge of systems thinking as it related to social work process.
- Broad knowledge of other health disciplines and their role in healthcare.
- Broad knowledge of research methodology, counselling skills and clinical practice models.
- Broad knowledge of family, group and change therapy.
- Broad knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems theory to practice in Social Work assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct social and psychosocial assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and influence group and inter-group processes, decision making and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with clients and families.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events and deal effectively with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Basic understanding of trauma-informed care.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.