|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse (Psychiatry)|
|Work Site: ||Magnolia House - North Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Casual |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$34.15 - $44.83 per hour|
|Hours: ||various shifts|
Provides nursing care to assigned psychiatric patients, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team. When applicable to the job, provides nursing services for clients before, during and after undergoing Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) treatment and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) treatment both by working independently and as a member of an integrated care team. Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the patient/family. Consults, confers, and collaborates with other health care providers. Demonstrates continuous improvement and best practice approach in nursing practice. Provides education and support to client and family. Maintains and advances own clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Practices in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards of professional practice and Code of Ethics for registered nurses / registered psychiatric nurses. Practices within the scope of practice as set by the organization, as per VCH policies and guidelines/clinical practice documents and within own competence. This practice is aligned with the vision, mission, goals and values of the organization as well as with the concept of the client and family centered care model.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Certification in Mental Health Nursing or two (2) years’ recent, related experience in an acute psychiatric setting.
- When applying for electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) treatment programs, job requires completion of a recognized critical care nursing program or two (2) years recent, related critical care experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of mental health issues and treatments.
- Knowledge of community mental health services, resources, and referral procedures.
- Applicable to ECT and TMS treatment programs, knowledge of the indications, actions, reactions, routes, dosages, and side effects of anesthetic and other drugs used in critical care environment as well as nursing problems commonly encountered in a critical care environment.
- Applicable to ECT and TMS treatment programs, demonstrated ability in the initiation and management of IV therapy and administration of IV medications.
- Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to client.
- Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability to respond immediately and appropriately to sudden emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses during procedure and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with patients and their families, colleagues, physicians, and other health care providers, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to assessment of behaviour and to assisting patients to regain or improve their coping abilities, and to prevent further disability.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and co-lead group sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage aggressive and suicidal behaviour.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans.
- Demonstrated ability to assess patient responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated skill in conscious sedation techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques appropriate to a critical care environment.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of critical care monitoring and support equipment.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized patient care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.