|Job Title: ||Physiotherapist 1 - Orthopaedics & Trauma - VGH|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time - Vacation Relief (1.00 FTE)|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$32.60 - $40.66 per hour|
- Days - Monday to Friday
- Time - 8:00 am - 16:00 pm
- 1 in 5 weekends and 1 in 20 on-call shifts
About Acute Units
An acute unit provides targeted care for patients requiring acute medical treatment and/or surgery with associated hospitalization.
This is what you signed up for: to use your knowledge and skills as part of an integrated health care delivery team to provide care to patients who really do need you help and need it right away.
The Patient Populations
As a Physiotherapist at VGH’s Orthopedic & Trauma unit, you will support a diverse and interesting client population! The clients on this unit may have:
- Sustained a mixture of orthopedic and non-orthopedic injuries in a traumatic event
- Sustained single or multiple orthopedic fractures, and undergone internal fixation or external bracing to treat the fractures
- Experienced a hip fracture with surgical repair (gamma nail, cannulated screw, hemiarthroplasty)
- Undergone ‘complex’ total hip or knee joint replacements (eg. primary arthroplasties for patients with multiple comorbidities or complicated histories, or revisions following infection or peri-prosthetic fracture)
The Nature of your Work
You will provide physiotherapy services to enable clients to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes by:
- Performing assessments on client’s physical status, functional abilities and needs and goals;
- Establishing a physiotherapy diagnosis and prognosis, developing and implementing an intervention strategy, evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention, and
- communicating with the client/family and health care team members
- The nature of your support/assistance/treatment to your clients could include:
- Post-operative activity prescription, strengthening, and gait re-education
- Discharge planning in coordination with the client, family and team
- Gait aid prescription
- Contributing to the organization and delivery of physiotherapy services, and participating in departmental/program quality assurance initiatives, meetings, research, and education.
All Physiotherapists at VCH practice in accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia (CPTBC) as well as within a client and family centred care model and the vision and values of Vancouver Coastal Health.
Education & Experience
- Current full registration with the College of Physical Therapists of BC (CPTBC).
- Eligibility for membership in the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia (PABC).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of Physiotherapy theory and practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of the CPTBC standards of practice and guidelines for clinical practitioners.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Basic knowledge of evidence-based clinical practice related to designated clinical area(s).
- Basic knowledge of physiotherapy standardised tests and measures.
- Basic knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and empower clients to assume control over their health.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) and deal effectively with clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective consultation.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others in a complex health care environment.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize when referral to another health care professional is required.
- Demonstrated skill in Physiotherapy techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
This posting has been posted internally and externally concurrently. External applicants will be considered after internals.
*** VCH Employees must apply via the internal application process using the above noted posting number. Go to internal job postings to apply as an Internal Applicant. VCH employees who apply to this posting will be considered external candidates and seniority will not apply.***