|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) - Acute Care for Elders|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital |
|Status: ||Regular Full Time|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$33.56 - $44.06 per hour|
|Hours: ||0700-1900/ 1900-0700|
Using a best practices approach, provides nursing care to assigned patients/clients working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates client care for designated acute care elder patient/client group. Participates in discharge planning, functions as a client advocate and teaches clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness. Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Documents care provided and responds to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures. Consults, confers and collaborates with other health care providers. Maintains and advances own clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Practices in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards (professional & practice) and code of ethics. Practices within the scope of practice as set by the organization, as per VCH policies and guidelines/clinical practice documents and within own competence. This practice is aligned with the vision, mission, goals and values of the organization as well as with the concept of a client and family centered care model.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Acute Medicine for Elder/Geriatric and chronic disease patient populations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Diabetes; Stroke; COPD; Liver Disease - including cirrhosis; Renal Disease - including hemodialysis & peritoneal dialysis; Failure to Thrive; Chest pain/Heart Failure (CHF); Pneumonia; Renal/Bladder care; Wound Care; Delirium; Dementia; Alcohol & Drug dependency).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Blood transfusions; Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) including bridging from TPN to enteral or oral; Delirium (PRISME/CAM); Dementia - both Pharmacological and non-pharmacological (PIECES framework); Genitourinary; Dysphagia; Falls).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Oxygen delivery equipment; other care related IVs, tubes, catheters, drains, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with acute/chronic pain management; Cognitive impairment. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of Oxygen Therapy- High flow O2 & saturation monitoring, CPAP, BiPAP; TPN (including Intravenous devices); Wound Care; VAC Dressing; Chest Tubes - small/large bore, pleurex; Safe handling of Cytotoxic agents, Insulin management, Medication reconciliation, transcription and administration.
- Demonstrated skill in assessing, maintaining, troubleshooting IVs; TPN; Chest Tubes; Ostomy equipment.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.