|Job Title: ||Educator, Perfusion Services|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time |
|Start Date: ||As Soon As Possible|
|Salary: ||$48.43 - $52.38 per hour|
|Hours: ||Monday to Friday, either 0630-1430 or 1100-1900; will have on-call shifts|
Canada’s second largest hospital, home to 24 OR theatres (2.5 cardiac) and British Columbia’s designated Trauma Centre, the hospital expects to perform over 800 open heart procedures, 1000 cell saver procedures; 70 IABP, ECMO and lung transplantation and da Vinci robot procedures. We employ the Sorin S5s heart lung machines; MaquetHCU-40 heater-coolers; Sorin Xtra Blood Recovery Systems, in-line CDI blood-gas monitoring and Radiometer ABL90 blood gas analysis. We are also an approved clinical training site for Cardiovascular Perfusion Interns.
Within the context of a client and family centred care model and in accordance with established standards of professional practice, and the established vision and values of the organization, the position works in a multidisciplinary team based environment and is responsible for coordinating the delivery of effective clinical education, training and supervision of the Cardiovascular Perfusionist students.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Clinical Perfusion, this position:
- Identifies and implements continuing education related to Perfusion Practice/techniques for the clinical perfusion staff and other healthcare professionals within the Perfusion Services department and other departments of the hospital.
- Collaborates with the Cardiovascular Perfusion Program Lead Education Coordinator (BCIT) to ensure the quality of educational outcomes for students adheres to the requirements of the Perfusion Education Program (BCIT) within the established policies, standards and guidelines of Vancouver Coastal Health.
- Maintains own clinical competency by performing clinical perfusion duties according to established standards.
- Ensures policies and procedures are up to date and communicates changes to staff.
- Participates in research activities, quality improvement initiatives, and other special projects, as required.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from an accredited school of Cardiovascular Perfusion Technology, plus three (3) years recent related experience in cardiovascular perfusion procedures, including one (1) years experience in an instructional/teaching capacity with adults; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Certified with the Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusionists (CSCP).
- Eligible for membership with the Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusionists (CSCP) and/or American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of theory and practice for cardiovascular perfusion procedures.
- Demonstrated technical competence congruent with perfusion procedures and services.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and train staff and students; and to develop and implement training plans.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team; with other health care professionals and with students, educators, patients and families.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with co-workers, medical personnel, other health care staff and students, both individually and in groups.
- Ability to organize and establish workload priorities and to coordinate a variety of programs and issues.
- Demonstrated ability to develop training and instructional materials and evaluation tools.
- Demonstrated ability to critically appraise research evidence.
- Demonstrated ability in CPR techniques.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Computer literacy with word processing, spreadsheet, graphic presentation, database skills and patient care information systems.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.