|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse - Operating Room (Surgical Suites)|
|Work Site: ||Sechelt Hospital|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time - Baseline |
|Start Date: ||As Soon As Possible|
|Salary: ||$33.56 - $44.06 per hour|
|Hours: ||0700-1500, 0730-1530 and 0800-1600|
Practices in accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) as well as within a client and family centred care model and the vision and values of the organization. Provides nursing care to clients in post-anesthetic recovery both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team, and provides nursing services in an operating room environment as a member of an integrated team performing varied and complex surgical interventions. Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Consults, confers, and collaborates with other health care givers as well as with other members of operating room team. Demonstrates expertise and leadership in nursing practice. Maintains and advances clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses’ of British Columbia (CRNBC).
- Completion of a recognized advanced nursing specialty program in operating room nursing, or two years’ recent, related experience in an operating room/post-anesthetic recovery environment.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of CRNBC’s standards for nursing practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of perioperative nursing techniques and standards, and instrumentation and equipment set ups, for a wide variety of surgical procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Comprehensive knowledge of pharmacology, and client physiological reactions, related to anesthesia and conscious sedation, including knowledge of other drugs used in post-anesthetic recovery.
- Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice in an operating room environment including ability to admit, assess and manage clients perioperatively and in post-anesthetic recovery.
- Demonstrated ability to respond immediately and appropriately to sudden emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as an integral member of an operating room team.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses during surgery, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with, and deal effectively with, clients and their families, co-workers, physicians, and other health care staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in writing accurately, concisely, and clearly.
- Demonstrated ability to teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated skill in conscious sedation techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Skill in the use of and set up of operating room equipment.
- Skill in techniques appropriate to the operating room and post-anesthetic recovery environments.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.