|Job Title: ||Concurrent Disorders Counsellor (Master's Degree in behavioural health sciences) |
|Work Site: ||Vancouver Detox - East 2nd Avenue|
|Status: ||Casual |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$33.01 - $41.16 per hour|
|Hours: ||08300-1630 casual|
Within the context of an innovative Vancouver Community Mental Health and Addictions partnership service, client centered care model, and in accordance with the standards of practice and the established vision and values of the organization, the Concurrent Disorders Counsellor provides screening and assessment services to clients.
The Concurrent Disorders Counsellor:
- Identifies the existence of concurrent disorders including mental health and/or substance abuse problems;
- Conducts substance abuse, psychiatric, bio-psycho-social assessments, mental status examinations, case formulations and complete DSM IV diagnoses;
- Develops and implements outcome orientated treatment plans that cover both mental health and substance use disorders;
- Provides treatment services to clients including individual, group, couples and family therapy and education according to theoretical models;
- Collaborates with others to facilitate the management of cases; coordinates care using a supportive case management approach within the principles of harm reduction;
- Participates in case conferences/meetings with members of the multidisciplinary team for identification and management of client mental health issues;
- Participates in developing and providing education services and contributes to program development in order to meet the needs of the population with concurrent disorders; and,
- Collaborates, consults and provides clinical support and education to colleagues for continuity of care, treatment concerns, specialized services and community resource coordination.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in an Behavioural Health Discipline from a recognized program.
- Three (3) years’ recent related experience providing professional services to individuals who have substance abuse and mental health illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of psychotherapeutic and counselling skills.
- Broad knowledge of bio-psycho-social issues that may occur in response to changing mental health and alcohol and/or other drug needs.
- Broad knowledge of mental health and substance abuse disorders and their interaction.
- Broad knowledge of DSM IV diagnostic classification system and case formulation.
- Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology.
- Broad knowledge of legislation, government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Broad knowledge of healthcare and community services available to applicable client group.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and facilitate the development of an integrated system of addiction and mental health services, including working with specialty substance abuse and mental health agencies, and other related professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to gather relevant information to make a multi-dimensional substance misuse and mental health assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete a psychiatric assessment, case formulation and, in consultation with the client, to create a treatment plan that addresses both substance misuse and any level of mental disorder.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a variety of theoretical models to practice in assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond appropriately to emergent situations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients, colleagues, referral sources, medical personnel, and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, analyze and problem solve in pressure situations.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, Internet and e-mail software.
- The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.