|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse, Apheresis|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital|
|Status: ||Regular Part Time - Baseline (0.5 FTE)|
|Start Date: ||As Soon As Possible|
|Salary: ||$33.40 - $43.84 per hour|
|Hours: ||0730-1530, 0800-1600, 0900-1700 ;has on-call component|
Within the context of a client and family centred care model, and in accordance with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) standards of professional practice, code of ethics, and the established vision and values of the organization, and within the manufacturing practices and standards for blood component production and testing, performs therapeutic hemapheresis, peripheral bone marrow/stem cell apheresis, and blood cell reductions both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team. Conducts interviews and assesses donors understanding of the donation process. Provides nursing care, counseling and instruction to clients/donors and their families. Consults, confers, and collaborates with other health care givers. Demonstrates expertise and leadership in nursing practice. Maintains and advances clinical competence and knowledge of blood component production and testing. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC).
- Two (2) years’ recent nursing experience including one (1) year of recent, related experience in Leukemia/Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) or clinical apheresis, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of CRNBC’s standards for nursing practice.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to clients with leukemia or undergoing bone marrow transplantation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of blood components and testing.
- Demonstrated skill in administering blood products.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of medical equipment and supplies appropriate to the clinical area including biomedical equipment and central venous catheters.
- Demonstrated ability in interviewing and assessment skills and understanding the principles and critical nature of donor selection and screening.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques appropriate to the clinical area.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and work direction.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and/or collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate personally or by telephone and deal effectively with donors/clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of outside agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and teach donors/clients and their families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care in relation to client/family priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized patient care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.