|Job Title: ||Licensed Practical Nurse|
|Work Site: ||Downtown Community Health Centre -Integrated Care Team - DTES - Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$27.06 - $29.79 per hour|
|Hours: ||Shifts vary between 0830-2030|
The Downtown Eastside neighbourhood (DTES) is home to nearly 18,000 residents, many with complex health and social challenges. The community dynamics and health needs have changed over the past ten years and VCH is developing a more integrated health system that will coordinate services around client needs. This includes working closely with community service providers to ensure provision of client-centered, evidence-based and cost-effective care within a cohesive network of community based health services. This new model will reduce silos of care, and improve service coordination for clients.
In accordance with the Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Strategic Framework and True North Goal’s vision for the Downtown Eastside Second Generation Strategy, the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) works to address client and family centred care needs supported by an integrated health service team and delivery model.
- Practices within the Scope of Practice and Professional/Practice Standards of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of British Columbia (CLPNBC); and within VCH polices, guidelines, and clinical practice documents.
- Works collaboratively across multiple sites, clinics, and services within an integrated health service delivery model and interdisciplinary care team that includes primary care; mental health and substance use; private General Practitioner partners; and other Community Care Services.
- Cares for clients and families who are experiencing health challenges such as, but not limited to, end of life, chronic disease, mental health and substance use and are adversely affected by the social determinants of health where the care needs/outcomes can be managed by a plan of care or where the LPN seeks direction/guidance of a Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN), Nurse Practitioner (NP), or Physician (MD).
- Works closely with the RN/RPN/NP/MD in direct care activities such as assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating and documenting client care as part of the Integrated Care Team and collaboratively with other Community Care Services.
- Establishes, maintains and enhances therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Support clients and their families to achieve and maintain optimal health.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses.
- Current full practicing licensure with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC (CLPNBC).
- Two (2) years recent experience working as a Licensed Practical Nurse providing care through a holistic mental health, substance use and primary care lens.
- Valid BC Drivers License preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability in dealing with a variety of situations and responsibilities requiring initiative, creativity and professional judgment.
- Ability to assess clients at risk and knowledge of appropriate acts; e.g. Mental Health Act, Adult Guardianship, Public Health Act as it relates to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge and experience in providing culturally safe and competent care, specifically pertaining to Aboriginal people.
- Knowledge and experience in Trauma Informed Practice, Harm Reduction and Recovery Oriented Care.
- Knowledge and practice within the standards dictated by the CLPNBC.
- Broad knowledge of working with clients and family’s across the life span.
- Broad knowledge of Community resources and polices.
- Demonstrated ability to apply decision-making and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Knowledge and experience with basic computer programs (Word, Microsoft Outlook). Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.