|Job Title: ||Social Worker - Adult Protection & Domestic Violence|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital- Hospitalist Medicine - Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Part Time (0.80 FTE)|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible
Approximate end date: March 2019
|Salary: ||$33.61 - $41.94 per hour|
|Hours: ||0800-1600 Tuesday to Friday|
Within the context of a client and family centered care model and in accordance with the vision and values of the organization, this position is responsible for providing clinical expertise to patients, families, staff and students in the area of Adult Guardianship and Domestic Violence.
Duties include triaging, case finding and responding to cases of domestic violence (DV) and adult guardianship (AG), throughout Vancouver General Hospital. Monitors, intervenes and follows AG and DV cases from the point of entry in Emergency throughout acute ensuring smooth transitions to community.
The Adult Protection & Domestic Violence Social Worker provides consultation, mentorship, education and support to Vancouver Acute staff about all aspects of abuse, whether it be Adult Guardianship and/or Domestic Violence, and applies knowledge of community resources and intervention strategies to assist victims of domestic violence and adult abuse. The day to day workload is often crisis oriented and unpredictable.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited University.
- Minimum five (5) years in a health care setting.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of social work methodologies, Adult Guardianship Legislation, Statutory Property Guardianship Act, the Mental Health Act and other relevant legislation and VCH policies, government policies/procedures, medical and public health issues and domestic violence.
- Comprehensive knowledge of ethical decision making and its application, as well as understanding of tolerable verses intolerable risk. Knowledge with respect to safety issues and confidentiality.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of geriatrics, domestic violence, complex family and cultural dynamics, developmental stages in the individual and family life cycle and psychosocial issues that may arise in response to changing health and dependency needs.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of abuse, dementia and mental illness and ability to assess for capacity.
- Ability to make sensitive and insightful observations of individuals and to determine a course of intervention.
- Ability to develop and implement Support and Assistance Plans, and other Emergency Provision under AGA and coordinates a multisystem support network.
- Familiarity with the React Safety and Learning System.
- Comprehensive knowledge of community resources in the area of adult abuse, neglect, self-neglect, and domestic violence. Ability to effectively access the health care system and community resources on behalf of patients, and families.
- Strong clinical expertise and sound judgment in working with individuals, families and systems.
- Ability to work effectively with others, including understanding the roles of other disciplines, working as part of a multidisciplinary team, working effectively in a multicultural environment and working independently.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload in a complex work environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to recognize and deal with emergent situations and exercise reasonable judgment when dealing with patients, families and staff.
- Broad knowledge of research methodology.
- Basic computer literacy skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.