|Job Title: ||Communicable Disease Nurse|
|Work Site:||Communicable Disease Control - Vancouver|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time |
|Start Date: ||As Soon As Possible |
|Salary: ||$32.94 - $43.24 per hour|
|Hours: ||0830-1630 Monday to Friday with Sat/Sun/Stats |
Within the context of a public health model and in accordance with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) standards of professional practice, Code of Ethics, and the established vision and values of the organization, the Communicable Disease (CD) Nurse works as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide public health follow-up of cases, contacts and outbreaks of reportable communicable diseases, HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI). Public Health follow up actions include screening and assessment, investigation, prevention, surveillance, education, counselling and implementation of an action plan. Collaborates with Medical Health Officers (MHO’s), physicians, HIV Outreach Team, and other health care providers, in the management and control of HIV and other communicable diseases as well as responding to public inquiries about immunization and general communicable disease questions. The CD Nurse also participates in team meetings and program planning, maintains client/contact records, and updates knowledge in communicable disease control and relevant nursing.
Education & Experience
- Baccalaureate in Nursing.
- Two (2) years’ recent related experience providing Communicable Disease services within a public health setting for clients at risk or living with reportable communicable diseases or HIV/AIDS.
- Trained in Partner Counselling and Referral Services (PCRS) as well as HIV Pre/Post-test Counselling.
- Positions requiring RN’s to independently provide contraception management and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) diagnosis, testing, treatment require CRNBC certification in reproductive health.
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC).
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a vehicle.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a public health model.
- Knowledge of public health ethics.
- Broad knowledge of CRNBC standards for nursing practice.
- Broad knowledge of public health reportable disease and follow-up requirements.
- Broad Knowledge of HIV/AIDS and other communicable diseases/disease conditions.
- Broad knowledge of other facilities/agencies and community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct nursing assessments.
- RNs to have a willingness to obtain certified skills (i.e. contraceptive management, assessment/ treatment of sexually transmissible infections) at the discretion of the manager
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physicians and other health care providers.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a culturally diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events and respond to communicable disease outbreak situations.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and problem solve in pressure situations.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.