|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse - Acute Medicine - CST Project |
|Work Site: ||Lions Gate Hospital|
|Status: ||Temporary Full Time - until April 30, 2018 based on project timeline|
|Start Date: ||JAN 08, 2018|
|Salary: ||$32.94 - $43.24 per hour|
The Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) Project is one of the largest health care projects in British Columbia's history. It is a joint undertaking between Vancouver Coastal Health, the Provincial Health Services Authority and Providence Health Care to complete a significant transformation of clinical practices and systems. This is an exciting project that will deliver key benefits for our patients, health care providers and health organizations. We are looking for Nurses to join us for the first phase of implementation at VCH sites including Lions Gate Hospital and the Sea-to-Sky Corridor.
In these roles you will be trained to serve as peer mentors to front-line clinicians on the new Cerner clinical information system as well as providing coverage to enable unit staff to attend training for the new system.You’ll be part of the first group to learn and use the new system and be able to share your knowledge and expertise with your colleagues before implementation at your own sites!
Work with PHSA or PHC? - Join the project without giving up your seniority or benefits!
As part of this joint undertaking, PHSA and PHC employees will be able to sign up to the secondment registry to be considered for these roles. If you are selected, you will maintain your current position, seniority and benefits but be able to work with CST! Learn more and register on our CST Secondment Website by clicking this link CST Secondment Registry
In this role you will:
- Using a best practices approach, provide nursing care to assigned patients/clients working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care for designated acute medicine patient/client group.
- Participate in discharge planning, function as a client advocate and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
- Practice in accordance with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) standards (professional & practice) and code of ethics.
- Practice within the scope of practice as set by the organization, as per VCH policies and guidelines/clinical practice documents and within own competence. This practice is aligned with the vision, mission, goals and values of the organization as well as with the concept of a client and family centered care model.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses’ of British Columbia (CRNBC).
- One (1) year current acute medical RN experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Acute Medicine including geriatric and chronic disease patient populations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Cognitive impairment/Dementia; Respiratory Disease/Asthma/COPD; Diabetes; Renal; Bowel management; Gastrointestinal disease; Heart Failure (CHF); Addictions).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Delirium (PRISME/CAM); Dementia (PIECES framework); Depression (ECT); Dysphagia; Sepsis/Shock; Respiratory depression/failure; Renal failure; Hepatic failure; Stroke; Malignancy; Cardiac complications, Cardiac Arrest; ETOH withdrawal (CIWA Assessment); Endocrine disorders; GI disorders).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Central venous access devices; Oxygen delivery equipment; other care related tubes, catheters, drains, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with acute/chronic pain management; addictions/withdrawal issues; end of life care. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of IV/CVC; Oxygen Therapy; NG Insertion; Wound care; Chest tubes; Post Thoracentesis/Paracentesis Drains; Catheterization; Medication reconciliation, transcription and administration (various routes).
- Demonstrated skill in assessing, maintaining, troubleshooting CVC/PICC/IVAD; Tracheostomy; NG insertion; Nephrostomy/Percutaneous drains.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
- This is a TFT position to provide CST workload relief.
- The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.