|Job Title: ||Leader, Community Engagement|
|Work Site: ||VCH Communications - West 6th Avenue|
|Status: ||Temporary Part Time - (0.8 FTE) - until September 2018|
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications and Public Affairs, and working in a collaborative team environment, the Leader, Community Engagement works within the Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Community Engagement team to enhance and promote patient/public engagement (PPE) in health service planning and decision-making.
You will be responsible for designing, implementing and evaluating VCH community engagement activities such as public and patient consultations to support organization and program strategy, as well as the development of digital engagement strategies to augment existing engagement processes.
Primarily working with VCH regional teams as a resource to planning teams and organizational leaders in developing PPE strategies to support health systems improvement, planning, policy and strategy development, your other key interactions include senior staff in the municipalities, school districts, police, and community organizations.
- Designing, implementing and reporting on engagement processes with members of the public;
- Promoting patient and public engagement in planning and decision-making within the health authority;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of digital engagement strategies to support public and patient participation in organizational and program planning and development;
- Recruiting, supporting and engaging members of the Community Engagement Advisory Network;
- Representing the Community Engagement department on internal and external working groups;
- Developing and facilitating educational programs for staff related to patient and public engagement;
- Conducting monitoring and evaluation of Community Engagement activities;
- Developing and presenting written and oral reports of Community Engagement processes and recommendations.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Expertise:
- Master’s Degree in a related field, supplemented by three (3) years’ recent, related experience in community and organizational development or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to speak a second language would be an asset.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
- Personal vehicle required as travel within the geographic area may be required.
- Demonstrated creativity and initiative in designing, leading and evaluating community engagement projects and developing new strategic partnerships both internal and external to the organization.
- Knowledge of complex organizational and system dynamics in terms of involving multiple stakeholders; knowledge of community organizations and services; knowledge and understanding of socioeconomic determinants of health
- High level communication, negotiation and facilitation skills, including understanding of social media in citizen engagement. Strong writing skills.
- Demonstrated community and organizational development skills with ability to build credibility, understanding and trust in the external community to assist VCH to meet its strategic directions;
- Knowledge of participatory community-based research, planning and analysis skills;
- Demonstrated ability to build cooperative and consultative partnerships with senior staff in external organizations;
- Knowledge of VCH strategic directions and key unresolved issues in order to identify partnership opportunities;
- Demonstrated ability to independently determine appropriate levels of engagement with internal and external stakeholders while ensuring senior staff informed;
- Demonstrated project management skills;
- Demonstrated computer literacy and word processing skills; and,
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
VCH Management Competencies:
You question actions inconsistent with our values
You treat people with fairness and respect independent of their status or disagreement with you
You hire great people and expect great things from them
You inspire others with your thirst for excellence
You create an environment where people can flourish and grow
You seek what is best for the health system, rather than the best for yourself or your group.
Courage to Innovate
You challenge the status quo to improve quality and sustainability
You take smart risks and make tough decisions without agonizing
Qualified applicants only please submit a resume and covering letter quoting competition # 096913-kco.
- The duration of this temporary position is until approximately September 2018.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.