|Job Title: ||Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse - Connections (DTES)|
|Work Site: ||Connections - DTES |
|Status: ||Casual |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible |
|Salary: ||$32.94 - $43.24 per hour|
|Hours: ||0815-1830 - includes weekends and evenings|
Downtown Eastside Connections is a low-barrier addiction treatment clinic that provides fast access to evidence-based treatments for people struggling with untreated opioid dependency. We provide a safe, walk-in environment where people can access the services they want from a staff team that provides trauma-informed, client-centred care and who operate from a harm reduction philosophy. The interdisciplinary team includes community liaison workers, peers, nurses, physicians, pharmacists, social workers and financial liaison workers.
Check out: dtes.vch.ca
As a Mental Health & Addictions Outreach Nurse at the DTES Connections Clinic, you will provide triage and outreach services that are inclusionary and flexible for individuals with mental illness, addictions and/or chronic medical conditions. You will also:
- Conduct mental and physical status assessments and assesses clients’ physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs to determine priority of care requirements based on client needs, availability of resources and best practices.
- Provide counseling and assists client with reducing repeated contact with and use of acute and community healthcare services/programs/resources. Assesses high risk situations and provides crisis intervention.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team to develop, implement and adjust client’s care plan and meet the client’s need for integrated services and continuity of care across the continuum.
- Facilitate the movement of clients between acute care, community agency support site and designated health centre.
- Participate in case conferences/meetings with members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Assists clients with attendance to needed services such as medical appointments.
Education and Experience
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) or the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of British Columbia (CRPNBC).
- Diploma in Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing plus two (2) years’ recent related experience working with individuals with mental health and addictions illness.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
- the principles and practices of a client and family centered recovery model in mental illness.
- crisis intervention and counseling skills.
- mental health illness and treatment.
- psychopharmacology (indication and side effects).
- substance abuse and addictions treatment.
- other facilities and community resources.
- conduct psychiatric assessments.
- provide treatment planning, counseling, crisis intervention, and case coordination.
- communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physicians, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- establish workload priorities.
- adjust schedule to deal with unexpected situations.
- work independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- provide consultation and leadership.
- to problem solve.
- deal effectively with conflict situations.
- operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, Internet and email software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.