|Job Title: ||Physiotherapist 1 - VGH Intensive Care Unit (ICU)|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital|
|Status: ||Regular Part Time - Baseline (0.85 FTE)|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$32.60 - $40.66 per hour|
|Hours: ||0800-1650 & 1:20 on call|
About the VGH Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
As a physiotherapist in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at VGH, you will be working on a 30 bed unit in the trauma centre of the province where very ill or injured patients receive specialized care 24-hours a day.
The ICU health care team which includes doctors, nurses, patient care aides, respiratory therapists, physiotherapists, research coordinators, pharmacists, dietitians, social workers, a chaplain and an occupational therapist all work together to care for your family member. This is an exceptional opportunity for a physiotherapist to join a collaborative environment and have a great learning experience.
This is what you signed up for: to use your knowledge and skills as part of an integrated health care delivery team to help patients when they really need it….which is right away.
The Patient Population
As a Physiotherapist in VGH's Intensive Care Unit, you will support a diverse patient population, including:
- Intubated patients who require cardiorespiratory assessment and treatment
- Patients with Orthopedic, Medical, Surgical and Neurological insults
- Early mobilisation in a very acute care setting
The Nature of your Work
You will provide physiotherapy services to enable clients to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes by:
- Performing assessments on client’s physical status, functional abilities and needs and goals;
- Establishing a physiotherapy diagnosis and prognosis, developing and implementing an intervention strategy, evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention, and communicating with the client/family and health care team members;
- The nature of your support/assistance/treatment to your clients could include:
- Advanced cardiorespiratory care
- Mobilisation and early rehabilitation
- Exercise prescription
- Neurological assessments and treatments
- Orthopedic assessments and treatments
- Contributing to the organization and delivery of physiotherapy services, and participating in departmental/program quality assurance initiatives, meetings, research, and education.
All Physiotherapists at VCH practice in accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia (CPTBC) as well as within a client and family centred care model and the vision and values of Vancouver Coastal Health.
Education & Experience
- Current full registration with the College of Physical Therapists of BC (CPTBC).
- Eligibility for membership in the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia (PABC).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of Physiotherapy theory and practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of the CPTBC standards of practice and guidelines for clinical practitioners.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Basic knowledge of evidence-based clinical practice related to designated clinical area(s).
- Basic knowledge of physiotherapy standardised tests and measures.
- Basic knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and empower clients to assume control over their health.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) and deal effectively with clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective consultation.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others in a complex health care environment.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize when referral to another health care professional is required.
- Demonstrated skill in Physiotherapy techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
*** VCH Employees must apply via the internal application process using the above noted posting number. Go to internal job postings to apply as an Internal Applicant. VCH employees who apply to this posting will be considered external candidates and seniority will not apply.***