Vancouver Coastal Health is world renowned for innovation and a focus on quality care and outcomes.
Launch an exciting career with us where you can apply your skills and develop new ones alongside some of Canada's finest practitioners.
|Job Title: ||Aboriginal Wellness Counsellor|
|Work Site: ||Aboriginal Wellness Program - Vancouver Community|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time - (1.00 FTE)|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$33.01 - $41.16 per hour|
|Hours: ||Monday to Friday 0830-1700|
As an Aboriginal Wellness Counsellor, you will:
- work as part of a multidisciplinary community health team to provide culturally appropriate treatment and case management services for Aboriginal peoples that are both inclusionary and flexible for individuals with mental illness, addictions or concurrent disorders (i.e. addictions and mental illness) to meet the holistic needs of the client and to provide access to services and integration across the care continuum.
- Establish and maintains relationships with, and consults with, clients and their families, colleagues, and the Aboriginal community to provide appropriate treatment services based on best practices, client need, and a combination of western and traditional aboriginal care practices and approaches as appropriate.
- Performs culturally sensitive intake; mental health and addictions assessment and treatment; assertive case treatment planning; crisis intervention; consultation; individual, couple and family counselling, and group therapy and clinical education to provide, facilitate and coordinate client access to services.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in a Health Sciences Discipline from a recognized program supplemented with three (3) years’ experience providing treatment services to adults with mental health and/or addiction issues including two (2) years’ experience with Aboriginal community health services and health promotion issues, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates of Aboriginal ancestry.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
- mental illness and treatment
- substance abuse and addictions treatment
- psychopharmacology (indications and side-effects).
- psychotherapeutic and counselling skills, with particular emphasis on evidence based interventions with trauma and attachment disruption in populations who experience historical oppression.
- Aboriginal healing modalities
- social issues impacting Aboriginal people
- Aboriginal cultures
- other facilities, community and home support resources, and Aboriginal health, social and community services.
- other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- adult education principles, methods and tools.
- legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to client.
- conduct culturally appropriate mental health and addiction assessments, and provide treatment planning and crisis intervention
- apply knowledge of theory and practice to a case management process
- communicate effectively with co-workers, physicians, other health care staff, Aboriginal patients and their families, and Aboriginal service providers, either one-on-one and in-groups
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a co-operative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- establish workload priorities.
- work both independently and collaboratively.
- work with individuals with diverse backgrounds.
- adjust to new or unexpected events.
- deal with and/or guide others in resolution of conflict issues.
- provide consultation, leadership and work direction.
- Skill in the use of equipment and in techniques appropriate to designated clinical area.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.