|Job Title: ||Assistant Housekeeping Manager, Environmental Services|
|Work Site: ||Vancouver General Hospital 12th & Oak|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
0800-1600 & 1100-1900
Days off: Tuesday Wednesday, Statutory Holidays
|Salary: ||$34.68 - $49.86 per hour|
Come work as an Assistant Housekeeping Manager, Environmental Services with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Reporting to the Manager, Environmental Services, the Assistant Housekeeping Manager is responsible for providing coordination and administration of all aspects related to environmental services which include but are not limited to housekeeping, pest management, and sanitation services, refuse and solid waste disposal services, and waste water management, as well as supervision of staff for a designated site(s) at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH). At VCH, a clean clinical environment extends from outpatient clinics to emergency departments or surgical suites, therefore this position requires not only knowledge of infection prevention and control, basic microbiology, evidence-based cleaning and disinfection practices, safety concerns, handling multiple waste streams and floor care but also the ability and skills to maintain consistency in performance. Assists the Manager with program planning, implementation of best practices, new systems, policies and procedures, services delivery and evaluation. Investigates and resolves operational issues involving service level concerns or staff performance issues. The position also participates in developing and monitoring the budget and assists the Manager in the monitoring, analysis, reporting of quality assurance and control initiatives for environmental services.
As an Assistant Housekeeping Manager, Environmental Services with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Implement the day-to-day operations of environmental services for an assigned site or multiple sites and ensures effective services are implemented maintaining an overall effective forecasting and utilization of respective personnel and equipment. Investigates and resolves operational issues involving service level concerns or staff performance issues.
- Contribute to the departmental strategic plan and related projects and initiatives by identifying goals and objectives for the portfolio providing feedback on activity levels and ensuring services address established goals and objectives and meet organizational service requirements. Makes recommendations to the Manager as required.
- Promote service excellence, evaluate operations and develop improvements in operating processes and equipment to maximize productivity, and service levels for designated site(s). Implements pilot projects as directed by the Manager and oversees the implementation of trial testing of new equipment, systems, processes, or other initiatives. Provides reports on identified observations and outcomes, such as pros, cons, risks, and areas needing improvement and makes recommendations as required.
- Monitor the daily work activity of personnel within the assigned area to ensure compliance with safety procedures set by the department and regulatory agencies, such as WorkSafe BC (e.g., WHMIS).
- Supervise designated staff, schedules shifts, statutory holidays, vacations and relief, approves over-time and leaves of absence for staff. Interviews applicants, makes staff resource planning and selection decisions, establishes performance expectations, determines required orientation and training, conducts related training and orientation for staff as required, familiarizes staff with new procedures, conducts performance evaluations
and resolves disciplinary matters. Where necessary in collaboration with the Manager, initiates disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- Interpret and administer collective agreements. Participates in investigations of, and response to grievance and routine confidential employees’ issues. Participates in essential service designation planning input as required.
- Assist the Manager in developing and monitoring the budget. Provides input into budget requirements and monitors expenditures by reviewing and verifying invoices.
- Work with the Manager to determine and implement best practices including conducting research as required and participating in preparation of business cases relating to operational planning and quality service improvements.
- Assist with the development, monitoring and updating quality improvement initiatives to ensure service
quality standards are maintained. Diagnoses service level failures and takes corrective action to prevent recurrence.
- Assist the Manager in the audit processes, against prescribed performance criteria in the performance of quality assurance responsibilities. Compiles data and assists in developing indicators that summarize issues by specific criteria. Presents data and makes recommendations in order to focus on areas that need further support.
- Ensure materials and requirements meet established standards and applicable policies, practices, and procedures are understood and followed. Recommends, plans, and organizes the efficient use of space and equipment in respective work areas.
- Participate in committees and meetings involving clients, contractors and residents/patients and other stakeholders, as designated by the Manager.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Diploma in Environmental Management, Business Administration, Hospitality or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ progressive leadership experience in housekeeping/environmental services and resolving client complaints in a hospital or similar large institutional environment, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of health facility support service operations including but not limited to housekeeping, infection prevention and control, basic microbiology, evidence-based cleaning and disinfection practices, handling multiple waste streams, floor care and also the ability and skills to maintain consistency in performance.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing at various levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality assurance systems.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and familiarity with working in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve issues in a customer service environment, tactfully and equitably, with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to handle stressful situations in a consistent and positive manner.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving and dispute resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team.
- Effectively able to prioritize workload and to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment, including relevant computer applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.