|Job Title: ||Nurse (RPN/RN), Crisis Intervention/Home Based Treatment|
|Work Site: ||Acute Home Treatment, Richmond Mental Health Services, Richmond, BC|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Nurse in Crisis Intervention and Home Based Treatment with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the Acute Home Treatment team with Richmond Mental Health Services. Apply today to join our team!
As a Nurse in Crisis Intervention/Home Based Treatment with VCH you will:
- Work as a member of the Crisis Intervention / Home Based Treatment Program to provide assessment and treatment services in the client’s home setting.
- Conduct mental health and addiction assessments on individuals experiencing urgent and emergent mental health and/or substance abuse problems.
- Conduct initial screening and/or assessment as needed, to determine if client requires home based treatment, detox, hospitalization, the provision of mobile crisis response, and/or other community-based support.
- Assess bio-psychosocial-spiritual needs; conduct safety and risk assessments, and formulate initial diagnostic impression in order to determine priority of care requirements and the available services and resources.
- Develop crisis intervention/treatment plans; provide client care in the form of immediate screening and/or assessment, intervention, referral and support to clients in urgent situations as well as providing assessment and treatment services once the crisis period has stabilized.
- Attend to anticipated/unanticipated client responses to care; initiate measures to stabilize the crisis/emergent situations and responds effectively to aggressive behaviour and/or self-harm.
- Provide client/family/caregiver with education and support, and create care plans with other key members of the interdisciplinary team such as the primary care physician, psychiatrist, and/or mental health case manager.
- Collaborate with others within community and acute care to facilitate the movement of clients.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Three (3) years’ recent, related experience working with the designated client population providing treatment services to individuals with mental health issues or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel will require the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNP’s standards for practice for registered nurses or registered psychiatric nurses.
- Knowledge of emergency mental health and crisis stabilization.
- Broad knowledge of mental illness and treatment.
- Knowledge of substance use and addictions treatment.
- Knowledge of DSM-IVTR Diagnostic Classification System, mental status examination and case formulation.
- Broad knowledge of relevant facilities and community resources.
- Comprehensive knowledge of psychopharmacology (indications and side effects).
- Knowledge of infectious and chronic disease management.
- Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to client care, including the BC Mental Health Act and REACT guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct mental health and addiction screening and/or assessments and provide treatment planning and crisis intervention/treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients and their families and health care staff.
- Ability to conduct safety and risk assessments.
- Ability to prioritize, take initiative, be flexible, work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond effectively to aggressive behaviour and/or self-harm.
- Ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- De-escalation, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.