|Job Title: ||Psychiatric Emergency Assessment & Treatment Nurse, RN/RPN - Mental Health and Substance Use Emergency Services|
|Work Site: ||Psychiatric Emergency, Lions Gate Hospital - North Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Part Time - (0.6 FTE)|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possibleuntil approximately September, 2023|
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays, Rotating
Come work as a Registered Nurse in Mental Health and Substance Use with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the Emergency Department at Lions Gate Hospital. Apply today to join our team! This position will be focused in Mental Health and Substance Use Emergency Services.
As a Nurse focused in Mental Health and Substance Use at VCH you will:
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care for patients and families across their lifespan, within the Psychiatric Emergency Assessment and Treatment (PEAT) Unit within Lions Gate Hospital Emergency Department.
- Provide urgent, direct care to patients presenting in to the emergency department.
- Perform comprehensive physical, mental health and substance use assessments, crisis interventions, stabilization and care planning.
- Provide culturally safe, trauma informed, patient and family centered care while applying medical management and/or self-care management principles, including harm reduction, to conduct assessments, identify problems, provide direct care, and develop a plan of care.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information based on nursing theory and practice related to patient’s care needs.
- Provide liaison support for patient care and patient flow between the PEAT program, Emergency Department, Mental Health Inpatient Unit, first responders, community health care providers and community partners/agencies, including school counselors.
- Provide direct care to mental health and/or substance use patients awaiting transfer for further assessment or inpatient admission.
- Initiate and participate in case conferences and case management meetings; prepare and maintain patient record; and provide consultative and direct services/care to patients, families, community health professionals/agencies, law enforcement, physicians and emergency room staff.
- Participate in team meetings, continuing education, conferences, and/or corporate initiatives and engages in on-going team planning, development, evaluation and quality improvement activities.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two (2) years’ recent related mental health and substance use experience including experience with patients in emergency, urgent care and/or medical/surgical areas, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to provide comprehensive head-to-toe nursing assessments and interventions related to common diagnosis and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient group (e.g. renal failure, wound care, diabetes, sepsis, intoxication, withdrawal).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develops a plan of care relevant to the designated patient group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT), oxygen delivery equipment, other care related pumps, catheters, tubes, suctions for the designated patient population.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with altered immune response, acute/chronic pain management, anticoagulation therapy, patients with problematic substance use/withdrawal challenges.
- Demonstrated skill in Peripheral IV insertion, maintenance, blood collection, removal, and Tracheostomy care.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of recovery-oriented conceptual models of mental health care including: person and family centered care, trauma-informed care, harm reduction and psychosocial rehabilitation.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of patients and staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact of social, cultural and family systems on health outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans and anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient group.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational programs and materials for patients and families based on education theories, principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Demonstrates ability and interest to provide advocacy for mental health and substance services, resources, education and patient care in a fast pace clinical department.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in performing autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient population.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Ability to operate related equipment including applicable software applications
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.