|Job Title: ||Older Adult Outreach Nurse (RN/RPN)|
|Work Site: ||Adult Mental Health, Squamish Mental Health - Squamish, BC|
|Status: ||Regular Part Time (0.80 FTE)|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$43.09 - $52.82 per hour|
Days off: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Come work as an Older Adult Outreach Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the Squamish Adult Mental Health team as an Older Adult Outreach Nurse. This position is focused in working with older adults who are experiencing dementia or have major psychiatric disorders, concurrent disorders and/or problems normally associated with aging and are at risk due to a combination of psychiatric symptoms, complex medical/social factors or significant caregiver stress. Apply today to join our team!
As an Older Adult Outreach Nurse you will:
- Perform the following to promote integration and continuity across the care continuum:
- psychogeriatric assessments
- crisis intervention
- case coordination
- treatment planning
- facilitating/co-facilitating individual/group sessions
- individual counseling and education and support
- Consult with general practitioners, caregivers and family members and work with staff in continuing and Long Term Care as well as hospitals as appropriate.
- Coordinate community resources and provide educational programs as required.
- Establish and maintain relationships with, and consult with, clients, their families and colleagues to provide appropriate treatment services based on best practices and client need.
- Share knowledge and expertise with colleagues via consultations, in-services and presentations.
- Act as a clinical resource for nurses and other health care providers in the hospital and community.
- May provide direct care as well as outreach services.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Three (3) year’s recent related experience working in geriatric mental health and addictions or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A valid B.C. Driver’s License and use of a vehicle are required.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of gerontology and geriatric psychiatry and nursing standards of the Canadian Gerontological Nursing Association and current practices in Older Adult Mental Health and Addiction.
- Knowledge of concurrent disorders.
- Knowledge of assessment and treatment of psychiatric clients including geriatric psychopathology of depression, delusions, delirium, dementia as well as principles of management of personality disorders.
- Knowledge of issues associated with aging, chronic illness and psychosocial factors such as caregiver issues, family dynamics and communication patterns.
- Knowledge of detoxification/withdrawal management, abstinence/harm reduction models of service for geriatric patients with substance use disorders.
- Knowledge of psychopharmacology (indications and side-effects).
- Knowledge of crisis intervention and psychiatric services/community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to provide counseling, psycho-education and consultation services.
- Knowledge of the roles of both hospital and community geriatric services in client care and the ability to act as liaison between services.
- Knowledge of theories and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform relevant assessments using validated tools.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate a holistic care plan including holistic, physical, behavioural, social and emotional factors.
- Demonstrated ability to develop rapport, trust and ethical relationships with clients/families, family care providers and other health care professionals and providers.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physician, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a consultative/collaborative manner as a team member, leader and facilitator.
- Demonstrated ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitive to diverse cultures and preference, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
- Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to client, including abuse and neglect legislation.
- Demonstrated ability adjust to new or unexpected events and deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of theory and practice to a case management.
- Demonstrated ability to employ effective conflict resolution and reconciliation approaches and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver educational programs and materials for staff/patients/clients and families based on educations theories, principles and best practices.
- Knowledge of basic research, e.g. research ethics, research question, hypothesis and qualitative and quantitative data analyses methods.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, schedule and prioritize work.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of equipment and in the techniques appropriate to nursing treatment.
- Ability to operate related equipment including relevant computer applications.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.