|Job Title: ||Surveillance Analyst, Public Health Surveillance Unit (PHSU)|
|Work Site: ||Chief Med Health Officer, Van|
Temporary Full Time
As soon as possible until approximately September 2023
Days off: Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays
|Salary: ||$33.35 - $47.94 per hour|
Come work as a Surveillance Analyst with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Surveillance Analyst to join the dynamic team at Public Health Surveillance Unit. Apply today to join our team!
As a Surveillance Analyst with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Report to the Regional Director, Public Health Surveillance Unit (PHSU).
- Be responsible for providing data management and analytical support for population and public health surveillance and health assessment functions of PHSU.
- Maintain various databases and dashboards specific to and/or related to content area for purposes such as public health surveillance, health assessment, data analysis, reporting, developing and generating queries, data visualization, preparing and compiling reports and technical documents.
- Directly support the work of the Office of the Chief Medical Health Officer Regional Programs. Key Regional Teams include Medical Health Officers, Communicable Disease Control, Health Protection & Environmental Health, Overdose Prevention Team, Population Health and Indigenous Health.
- Have health authority-wide responsibilities in the area of population and public health data collection and synthesis, analysis, interpretation, knowledge translation and dissemination.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, Biostatistics, Health Informatics, Health Sciences or related discipline.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of recent experience in a health care setting including technical experience in data management, linkage, analysis, interpretation and reporting or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of, and prior experience with public health surveillance systems would be an asset.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in a related field and an acceptable combination of training and experience may be considered.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of basic epidemiology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of health data sources and data quality issues.
- Demonstrated analytical and statistical skills including ability to find, collect, analyze and interpret data, use basic statistical concepts and prepare written reports for a broad range of audiences.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary, dynamic environment as part of a collaborative and high-functioning team. Foster effective working relationships that promote cooperative goal achievement and contribute to an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect.
- Ability to work independently under pressure within tight deadlines and exercise judgement in setting priorities, identifying issues and determining action.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to share and develop resources, knowledge and skills in order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of assessment and surveillance functions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistical, data management and data visualization software. Proficiency with R or SAS and Tableau or R Shiny preferred.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Please note: The duration of this temporary position is until approximately Sep 2023
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.