|Job Title: ||Research Coordinator, Indigenous Health|
|Work Site: ||Indigenous Health|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays
|Salary: ||$30.33 - $43.60 per hour|
Come work as a Research Coordinator with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is committed to improving the health and access to culturally safe healthcare of the Indigenous people in our region, and we recognize that we all have a contribution to make in reconciliation and healing. VCH’s Indigenous Health team works with staff and physicians across all programs and departments to provide strategic leadership, partner collaboration and community engagement to assist VCH to become a more culturally competent and safe organization.
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Research Coordinator to join the Indigenous Health Research team. Apply today to join our team!
As a Research Coordinator, Indigenous Health with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Report to the Director, Indigenous Research on the Indigenous Health Team for day-to-day operations.
- Provide operational support to the VCH Indigenous Health Research Team engaged in Community-driven Indigenous health research within the health authority and across multidisciplinary research partners. The focus of the Research Coordinator is to provide operational support to Indigenous health researchers on the VCH Indigenous Health team.
- Coordinate and administer research study associated activities from project planning to delivery, including assisting in ethics and operational approvals.
- Recruit and coordinate research participants, as appropriate, and serves as principle administrative liaison for numerous projects.
- Have responsibilities that include data preparation, assistance with statistical analysis and result presentation and administrative support such as coordinating research meetings, planning agendas and recording meeting minutes.
- Conduct literature reviews and assist with research dissemination and knowledge translation as required.
- Work with Indigenous patients and community members to facilitate Indigenous health systems focused research with the primary aim of improving Indigenous experiences and outcomes in health care in according with the Calls to Action and Recommendations outlined in the Truth and Reconciliation, In Plain Sight, and the Grandmother’s Perspective Reports, among others.
Education & Experience
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Health Sciences, or related field.
- Two years related experience in a research environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with research planning and approval process is essential. Candidate will be required to complete the Tri-council Policy Statement on Ethical Research involving Humans (TCPS2 2014) upon hiring.
- VCH is committed to respecting diversity within our workforce; preference will be given to individuals with Indigenous ancestry (First Nations, Inuit, Metis)
Knowledge & Abilities
- Clear understanding of the academic research process acquired through practical and/or academic experience
- Knowledge of research ethics including research confidentiality and privacy.
- Knowledge of social and Indigenous determinants of health in Canada, including perspectives on health and wellness.
- Knowledge of cultural safety and humility
- Exceptional program coordination and volunteer management skills.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret information from scientific literature.
- Familiarity with data storage and analysis systems such as SPSS, RedCap, NVIVO is an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research methodology including qualitative, quantitative, and statistical methods is an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Indigenous historical context, Indigenous community contexts, methodologies and ethical principles
- Excellent verbal and written communication including fluency in English.
- Strong interpersonal and skills community focus
- An understanding of and sensitivity to diversity issues.
- Strong planning/organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a self-starter and to plan, organize and prioritize workload, handle multiple assignments effectively and meet deadlines
- Excellent project organization, implementation, and networking skills including ability to problem solve, influence and achieve consensus with stakeholders
- Demonstrated computer literacy with Microsoft Office suite and database management skills at intermediate or higher level.
We are striving to build a diverse team that has lived experience with Indigenous communities. Strong preference will be given to applicants who self-identify as Indigenous.
It will greatly assist us with screening if you refer in your application to your Indigenous identity. Recognizing the impacts of colonization on Indigenous people, it is your choice whether to volunteer information. We will hold your application in strictest confidence, sharing it only with the hiring panel.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve, and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.