|Job Title: ||Clinical Informatics Specialist|
|Work Site: ||CST - 590 W. 8th|
Temporary Full Time
As soon as possible until approximately September 2023
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays
|Salary: ||$39.77 - $57.17 per hour|
Come work as a Clinical Informatics Specialist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Clinical Informatics Specialist to join the Clinics Informatics team. Apply today to join our team!
Reporting to the Clinical Informatics Manager, the Specialist leads and promotes the integration of computer and communications technologies and clinical change initiatives that automate and/or enhance evidence-based clinical practices, access to patient/client information and clinical documentation via the Electronic Health Record (EHR) in collaboration with clinical leaders, service and program managers and directors, physicians and staff.
As an integral regional and/or Community of Care (COC) based member of a multi-disciplinary leadership team, the Clinical Informatics Specialist works to increase the effectiveness, efficiency, accountability and sustainability of clinical initiatives that assist in the successful transitioning to a fully integrated EHR throughout VCH programs and services.
As a Clinical Informatics Specialist with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Provide leadership and support to the clinical systems training team, participating in the planning, coordination, scheduling, implementation and evaluation of education programs to meet the learning needs of electronic health information system users.
- Observe and evaluate clinical practice to determine staff/provider education needs related to the use of technology in practice and process redesign. Provide peer leadership to nursing and clinical staff and/or coaching to providers to incorporate advances in clinical informatics and the development of electronic health records into practice.
- Collaborate with members of the IMITS department and other organizational programs/departments and partner affiliates related to system wide practice and workflow change initiatives, practice innovation and redesign, documentation/nomenclature standards and the electronic health record.
- Provide clinical informatics leadership when participating in business systems reviews and needs assessments for assigned areas, projects and departments in VCH; serves as a consulting resource to information technology leadership, project teams, other members of the organization and peer health authorities regarding requirements for nursing/providers and clinical information, electronic documentation practice, and electronic health information.
- Work with the security management and application analysts to identify innovative approaches and standards for information capture, storage and retrieval that ensure the management of and secure access to personal electronic health information.
- Document and communicate clinical informatics standards to information technology leadership, staff, providers, project directors, project managers and the appropriate user community representatives such as staff from other portfolios within VCH, colleagues from peer health authorities and vendors. Assesses end user competency assessment and intervention, including developing corrective learning plans in partnership with management and front line leadership.
- Lead, research, define and create documentation related to the effectiveness of clinical information systems to further the development of clinical tools that support care practices and information capture and are compatible with standards of practice for all health care disciplines.
- Inform the design, development, implementation, delivery and evaluation of electronic health information systems and their associated dictionaries, databases, tables, reports and related standards, protocols and procedures to support clinical uptake of electronic health and information records.
- Maintain familiarity with health care industry developments in clinical informatics and participate in advising on implementation of related standards, tools and processes within VCH.
- Lead and participate in steering committees and taskforces for VCH clinical informatics and information technology initiatives.
- Lead in the development of organizational and/or departmental clinical change management policies and procedures as they relate to the electronic health record and clinical practice process redesign as it pertains to the automation of professional practice.
- Lead the identification and assist in the development of new and changing functions and processes in the department/organization as they relate to the use of clinical information systems.
- Participate in the development of detailed requirements, evaluation criteria, budgets, project charters, implementation plans, status updates, communication plans and other project related documents.
- Lead and coordinate a collaborative team-based framework that incorporates resources from other departments, programs, and vendor partners as it related to clinical systems implementations.
- Manage, coordinate and facilitates communication of system changes/enhancements.
- Participate in error correction/data integrity activities and audit processes to ensure quality data collection and system efficiency.
- Participate in custom report development and data analysis for decision-making.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately report unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in a related health discipline such as Nursing, Allied Health or patient care/clinical related specialty
- Five (5) years’ experience in a health care environment, including extensive experience using related computer technology, clinical change management, and/or project leadership.
- Experience implementing/supporting integrated clinical system environments is an asset.
- Current full practicing registration with the applicable provincial College or Association is required.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Maintains clinical competency, practice standards of care, and knowledge; and supports the integration of evidence-based practice in the delivery of quality care/services.
- Demonstrated experience in policy and procedure development and/or clinical documentation standards, business process analysis and reengineering techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge regarding new trends in clinical practice and information systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management practices, methodologies and principles.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practice in effective problem solving techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with technical, operational and vendor staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Demonstrates change management orientation in their work and possesses an attitude of continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coach, facilitate and lead others.
- Demonstrates strong research and evaluation skills.
- Advanced computer skills with current multiple applications relevant to the role.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Please note: The duration of this temporary position is until approximately September 2023.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.