|Job Title: ||Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Emergency|
|Work Site: ||Emergency, Richmond Hospital - Richmond, BC|
|Status: ||Casual |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible |
|Salary: ||$28.43 - $32.98 per hour|
Come work as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the Emergency Department at Richmond Hospital!
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Licensed Practical Nurse to join the team in the Emergency Department at Richmond Hospital in Richmond, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Licensed Practical Nurse with VCH you will:
- Work closely with the Care team including: Registered Nurse, Psychiatric Triage Nurse, Emergency Physician, Psychiatrist, Security, etc. in direct care activities such as assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating interventions, and coordinating health services for the designated medical client group of the Emergency Department.
- Participate in discharge and/or care planning, function as a client advocate,
- Teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Establishe, maintain, and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Provide care to clients and families based on stable and/or predictable states of health by initiating and following established plans of care.
- Recognize and respond to unexpected client outcomes by communicating and collaborating with other members of the healthcare team.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents in accordance with established policies, procedures, and Emergency Department expectations.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers as needed.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses and one (1) year of recent experience working in a related area of care.
- Current practicing registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to caring for the designated medical client group in the Emergency Department (e.g. including but not limited to patients with complex disease; acute/ chronic Disease Management; Mental health and substance use issues).
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis related to designated client group (e.g. Malignancies/Cancers; Acute/Chronic Respiratory Illness/disease; Acute/Chronic Renal Failure, Acute/Chronic Hepatic Failure; GI illness/diseases; Chronic Wounds, Orthopedic injuries/conditions; Mental health and substance use issues).
- Demonstrated ability to perform nursing assessments and interventions related to common diagnosis and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated client group - e.g. Cancer, Supportive Care, Pain Management (Acute/Chronic/Neuropathic/Palliative); Wound care; venipuncture Diabetes management, first aid, orthopedic injuries pediatrics, mental health and substance use and harm reduction strategies including safe medication practices (e.g. Best Possible Medication History, transcription, and patient education).
- Demonstrated ability to make sound clinical judgments to provide safe ethical client care to manage a select population of clients. Has knowledge of and accesses appropriate resources embedded within the service delivery model to support nursing practice. Knows when and how to seek out clinical support and guidance as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group by alerting the RN and/or most responsible provider. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behavioral and use non-violent crisis intervention, behavioral management techniques, and processes specific to Emergency Department to mitigate violence in collaboration with the healthcare team.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with, for example, oxygen delivery equipment; vital signs monitor; glucometer; IV pumps; splints, dressings and walking aids and other care related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to provide safe and appropriate telephone consultations and document related discussions and client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit protocol.
- Demonstrated skills in patient/family centered care planning, patient/family engagement and education; trauma-informed care and therapeutic communication. Has knowledge of legislation, government policies and procedures as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff as well as the impact of social, cultural and family systems on health outcomes.
- Demonstrated skill in performing LPN scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population in the Emergency Department including infection control, violence prevention, collaboration, communication, patient flow, etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.