|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) - Palliative Care|
|Work Site: ||Palliative Care Unit, Lions Gate Hospital - North Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Full Time |
|Start Date: ||Approximately July 2022 until January 2023|
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Registered Nurse at Lions Gate Hospital with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Palliative Care Unit at Lions Gate Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse at Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Provide nursing care to clients working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team to achieve quality symptom management, goals of care conversations and end of life care.
- Assess, consult, plan, implement, and evaluate care needs of clients who are facing problems associated with life-threatening illness in acute, hospice or community settings.
- Assess clients’ physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs.
- Provide support to clients/families and caregivers who are facing physical, emotional and practical difficulties arising from advanced progressive life-threatening illness.
- Promote the palliative philosophy that improves the quality of life of clients and their families and relieves suffering.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two (2) years’ recent, related acute medical-surgical experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Palliative Care experience and completion of related coursework is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - palliative patient populations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices, pathophysiology and trajectory of disorder/disease related to common diagnosis/ and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. cancer, end stage cardiac, COPD, neurological disease such as ALS or MS, chronic renal disease, end stage liver disease, metabolic disorders, or HIV/AIDS, dementia, frailty).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments and interventions related to common diagnosis and specific clinical situations relevant to palliative patient/client group i.e. lab value monitoring, symptom management, appropriate referrals, safe medication practices, bowel care, care of body after death.
- Demonstrated knowledge of approaches and systems in place (e.g. iPace, EPAIRS, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Central venous access devices; Oxygen delivery equipment; Ostomy/wounds; chest tubes; other care related tubes, catheters, drains, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in palliative symptom management (e.g. pain, dyspnea, nausea and vomiting, depression, constipation)
- Demonstrated skill in conducting goals of care conversations and in understanding the care goals and what is most important to the patient.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to palliative patient/client group.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.