|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (Med/Surg) - Urology/Gynecology/Plastics|
|Work Site: ||Urology & Gynecology - Vancouver General Hospital|
|Status: ||Temporary Full Time|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible until approximately May 2023|
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Registered Nurse (RN) at Vancouver General Hospital with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse (Med/Surg) to join the Urology/Gynecology/Plastics team at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Using a best practices approach, provides nursing care to assigned patients/clients working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates client care for designated Urology/Gynecology/Plastics patient/client group.
- Participates in discharge planning, functions as a client advocate and teaches clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Documents care provided and responds to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures. Consults, confers and collaborates with other health care providers.
- Maintains and advances own clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
- Practices in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) standards (professional & practice) and code of ethics for a Registered Nurse.
- Practices within the scope of practice as set by the organization, as per VCH policies and guidelines/clinical practice documents and within own competence.
- This practice is aligned with the vision, mission, goals and values of the organization as well as with the concept of a client and family centred care model.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Urology/Gynecology/Plastics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Urological and gynecological cancers; Hematuria; Ectopic pregnancy; Spontaneous Abortion; Pneumonia and pleural effusions; Pneumothorax; Facial and jaw fractures; Breast reconstruction; Necrotizing fasciitis; Compartment syndrome; Autonomic Dysreflexia; Post-op Ileus or obstruction; Refeeding Syndrome; Sepsis; Post-op myocardial infarction (MI); Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)/Pulmonary embolus (PE); Addictions).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Post-surgical comprehensive assessments; Surgical flap assessments; Skin graft assessments; Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) principles: Stoma assessments; Ostomy care & management; Continuous Bladder Irrigation ; Tracheostomy care; Wound assessments; Complex wound care & dressings; Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT); TPN; Prevention of skin ulcers; Palliative care principles).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Oxygen delivery equipment Central venous access devices; Bladder scanners; VAC machines; other care related tubes, catheters, drains, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with acute/chronic pain and/or complications arising post-op; complex pain management issues; sensitivity to opioids or opioid tolerance. Utilizes pain assessments related to epidural, Patient Controlled Analgesia (PCA), local anaesthetic wound infusion (LAWI) & rectus sheath catheter, lidocaine infusion.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of IV/CVC; Oxygen Therapy; Wound care; Chest tubes; Nephrostomy tubes; Catheterization; Medication reconciliation, transcription and administration (various routes).
- Demonstrated skill in assessing, maintaining, troubleshooting CVC; CVC/PICC maintenance; Enteral Nutrition.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.