|Job Title: ||Regional Diagnostic Medical Physicist, Medical Imaging|
|Work Site: ||VGH 12th & Oak|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays
Come work as a Regional Diagnostic Medical Physicist, Medical Imaging with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Reporting to the Regional Leader, Medical Imaging Physics, the Medical Physicist, is accountable for on-going quality assurance and acceptance testing for all x-ray, CT, radioscopy and ultrasound equipment, including ancillary equipment (e.g. CR Readers) within the Medical Imaging department and related equipment managed or operated by Medical Imaging staff at Lower Mainland sites (Vancouver Coastal Health, Providence Health Centres, Fraser Health and Provincial Health Services Authority). Provides leadership and direction in the medical application of physics and works as a key team member with colleagues and co-workers in continually developing and improving methods to image body structure and function. Key partnerships are with Clinical Practitioners, Medical Physicists, Quality Coordinators, Directors, Scientists, Site-specific Radiation Safety Officers (SRSO) and Medical Radiation Technologist staff throughout Lower Mainland Medical Imaging.
As a Regional Diagnostic Medical Physicist, Medical Imaging with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Be responsible for ensuring best practice in the provision of optimization, testing, and quality assurance in diagnostic radiology physics areas such as radiographic X-rays, fluoroscopy, , angiography, and computed tomography, as well as non-ionizing radiation modalities such as ultrasound, and ensures that prescribed levels are accurately determined and delivered to the prescribed anatomical volumes.
- Collaborate with Radiologists, Medical Physicists, other clinical professionals, and technical staff on the introduction of new technologies into the program, including development of policies and procedures, imaging protocols and clinical trials.
- Provide expertise in the development, implementation, and evaluation of a coordinated and integrated quality assurance program and quality improvement agenda. Monitors quality information, prepares confidential analytical reports and briefing documents.
- Assess and directs quality assurance programs on all medical imaging equipment according to established performance specifications in order to ensure the optimization of the quality of imaging systems, safe and effective operation of equipment, and adherence to regulatory requirements and safety codes.
- Under the direction of the Regional Radiation Safety Officer – Diagnostic Imaging, and with collaboration of site-specific Radiation Safety Officers, the Medical Physicist is assigned to assist in monitoring of radiation levels, including routine monitoring of equipment; provides radiation safety training to appropriate staff; provides input on design for facilities.
- Ensure that all aspects of license compliance are met including Health Canada Safety Codes, the Diagnostic Accreditation Program of BC Standards (DAP Standards) and Work Safe BC.
- Be responsible for teaching aspects of x-ray physics and radiation protection to hospital staff in the region, teaching and training Medical Radiation Technologists, and providing radiation protection instruction to medical, nursing, and ancillary staff.
- Ensure that radiology equipment used in the region meets the needs of the program and that complete and accurate data are measured and available for all equipment. Performs and/or delegates acceptance testing and commissioning on all new radiology related equipment in order to ascertain that the equipment meets, and will meet, the needs of the facility(s) over the anticipated lifetime of the machine.
- Instruct and demonstrate correct and safe usage of related equipment and theoretical and practical aspects of radiation protection to residents, technologists and ancillary staff.
- Remain current on the design and construction of radiology equipment, new technologies, and imaging techniques.
- Develop, refine, or evaluate software in support of new analysis and/or techniques.
- Participate in the training and evaluation of Medical Physics Residents.
- May also provide mammography services with proper qualifications.
- Perform other related duties as required
Education & Experience
- Membership with the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine (CCPM) in Diagnostic/Radiological Physics or an equivalent body as recognized by the Health Authority is required at this level.
- PhD or Masters in Physics, or a related Biomedical discipline and a minimum of 2 years clinic experience is required.
- A personal vehicle is required for this role.
- A separate CCPM certification is required for Mammography services.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Fosters collaborative and effective working relationships that promote cooperative goal achievement and contribute to an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect.
- Applies superior communication skills to collaborate and influence internal and external stakeholders, providing advice, guidance and education, and ensuring compliance with standards, criteria and regulations.
- Maintains current knowledge of new developments, trends and research in the medical applications of physics and recommends/implements best practices accordingly.
- Facilitates, collaborates and negotiates for effective conduct of clinical, practice and systems research, and works with colleagues and co-workers to achieve excellence in clinical, practice, and systems research.
- Skillfully develops meaningful indicators of quality and provides constructive reports based on the results of indicator monitoring.
- Uses a variety of software applications at an advanced level to prepare reports, briefing materials and other documents and to conduct statistical analysis.
- Provides guidance to site-specific RSOs
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.