|Job Title: ||Coordinator, Hazardous Waste|
|Work Site:||601 W Broadway|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays
Come work as a Coordinator, Hazardous Waste with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
The BISS Contract and Operational Services team is looking for a Coordinator, Hazardous Waste to join their team under Vancouver Coastal Health. Apply today to join our team!
As a Coordinator Hazardous Health with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Coordinate the design and delivery of hazardous waste reduction initiatives for the Lower Mainland Health Organizations. Both biomedical and laboratory chemical wastes are included under the umbrella of hazardous wastes.
- Develop a biomedical waste reduction program with a focus to standardize waste handling practices, improve waste segregation through staff education and reduce associated waste disposal costs.
- Serve as topic expert on hazardous waste and develop synergies with other waste management processes.
- Report to the Senior DIrector, BISS and work in partnership with multiple stakeholders across all of the four health organizations; Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH), Fraser Health (FH), Providence Health Care (PHC) and Provincial Health Services Authority ( but we PHSA).
Education & Experience
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as environmental sciences, resource management, nursing, allied health or, business or public administration
- Minimum two (2) years recent, related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad based understanding and experience of sustainability, waste management, social marketing and delivery of education and training.
- Excellent organizational, planning and multi-tasking skills to deliver initiatives to a large number of facilities within project timelines.
- Experience leading the delivery of education and training program involving liaision with multiple stakeholders to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Familiarity with relevant environmental and waste management legislation, Transportation of Dangerous Goods regulations and Worksafe BC Regulations
- Ability to think and plan strategically on a high level to deliver initiatives across a wide geographical area and to a complex stakeholder portfolio.
- Ability to incorporate high level of detail in project planning and delivery of education and training programs.
- Ability to understand potential barriers to behavior change in the healthcare setting and to engage stakeholders to overcome these.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to gain support and engage staff.
- Excellent presentation and verbal and written communication skills to both acquire information from and deliver information to a complex stakeholder portfolio.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and work both independently and in a team setting.
- Advanced word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation software applications or other pertinent IT skills.
- Strong personal commitment to environmental sustainability.
- Ability to establish good working relationships and carry out duties of the position in a professional manner.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2022 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health