|Job Title: ||Communications Specialist, VCH Research Institute|
|Work Site: ||VGH 12th & Oak|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Days off: Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays
Come work as a Communications Specialist, VCH Research Institute with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Communications Specialist, VCH Research Institute to join the dynamic team at VCH Research Institute. Apply today to join our team!
Reporting to the Director, Brand and Communications, the Communications Specialist is on the front lines of planning and executing internal and external communication and engagement strategies to advance local and regional initiatives for the Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute (VCHRI).
As a Communications Specialist, VCH Research Institute with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Have superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and is extremely detail oriented, capable of simultaneously managing multiple projects and client expectations.
- Have a flair for “productive innovation,” meaning you bring new ideas for content and communication approaches to the table, but uses intuition and a keen sense of observation to understand what will work for leaders, adapt on the fly, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Be the one who does it all – from original storytelling in newsletter articles, video scripts, speeches and presentations, to succinct operational communication in memos, briefing notes, web copy, newsletters and more.
- Work with the Communications Manager to provide input on communication strategies, but ultimately thrives on implementation, executing on the myriad of communication tools and tactics necessary to engage internal and external audiences on the issues, changes, opportunities and everyday successes happening in the world of health research.
- Have an outstanding public relations and customer service skills, with the ability to build rapport and trust with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders, and listen closely for insight about what clients really need in order to advance audience engagement.
- Attend team and campaign meetings, coordinate special events, conduct interviews and write original copy for numerous communication channels, and liaise with colleagues to assess emerging communication priorities.
- Serve as a point person by investigating and flagging potential good news opportunities, identifying emerging issues, drafting issues notes, and providing media escorts as required.
Education & Experience
- Education or experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as Journalism, Communications, Marketing or Public Relations.
- A strong communicator with five (5) years’ recent, related experience.
- Previous experience working in health care or a public sector environment is desirable.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, with exemplary attention to detail.
- Demonstrated critical thinking coupled with the ability to produce effective products and campaigns.
- Demonstrated content planning skills.
- Demonstrated experience with video production.
- Demonstrated solutions-focus, positive attitude, maturity and ability to engage a variety of busy stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate events and forums to advance stakeholder engagement with organizational initiatives.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to independently research, prioritize and assemble details for all aspects of a project or initiative.
- A results-oriented and enthusiastic team player who thrives on new challenges and responds nimbly to new priorities.
- Strong customer service skills to adeptly investigate client needs and negotiate communication solutions that are both cost effective and aligned with stated audience needs.
- Demonstrates flexibility and the willingness to work across individual roles to deliver collaborative communication solutions.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Contributes to a team environment by working efficiently, professionally and in a friendly manner, and establishes and maintains a harmonious working relationship with all colleagues.
- Advanced computer skills in organizational electronic communication technology, publishing and web-based communications. Demonstrated expertise with Drupal, WordPress, Adobe, , Hootsuite and MS SharePoint is desirable.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve, and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.