|Job Title: ||Concurrent Disorder Clinician - Master Degree|
|Work Site||Alcohol & Drug, Powell River Mental Health, Powell River, BC|
|Status: ||Casual |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$35.65 - $44.56 per hour|
Come work as a Concurrent Disorder Clinician with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Concurrent Disorder Clinician to join the Alcohol & Drug team in Powell River Mental Health, Power River, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Concurrent Disorder Clinician focused in Powell River Mental Health, you will:
- Works within a multi/interdisciplinary team and as part of a broader integrated system to deliver services to clients experiencing various levels of substance misuse and mental disorders.
- Provides independent substance abuse and mental health screening, and comprehensive assessments including DSM IV diagnosis; provides appropriate treatment/support including individual and group therapy, couples and family therapy, and education; and identifies the client’s motivation and their stage in the treatment process, and encourages engagement in treatment.
- Establishes and maintains non-judgmental therapeutic relationships with clients, collaborates and consults with colleagues and other community resources, assists with developing/providing education services as required, and participates in program sponsored interdisciplinary research.
- Participates in case conferences, team meetings, continuing education, and/or corporate initiatives and engages in on-going team planning, development, evaluation and quality improvement activities.
ABOUT POWELL RIVER, BC
On the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, where endless green mountains meet sheltered Pacific Ocean waters, Powell River provides a stimulating blend of outdoor adventure and cultural amenities. Originally founded as a resource extraction centre - once home to the world's largest pulp and paper mill - Powell River now offers adventurers countless opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, golfing, boating, hiking, biking, fishing, and scuba diving. This area is host to world-class art galleries, tremendous dining opportunities, and memorable events and festivals.
On the doorstep of both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, the Powell River region offers an array of experiences for travelers of all kinds, no matter the season. Experience the legendary Sunshine Coast Trail and Powell Forest Canoe Route, rock-climb the Eldred Valley, snowshoe in the Knuckleheads; this is the adventure destination you've long been waiting for.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in an Behavioural Health Discipline from a recognized program.
- Three (3) years’ recent related experience providing professional services to the designated client population who have substance abuse and mental health illness, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s License as required. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of psychotherapeutic and counselling skills.
- Broad knowledge of bio-psycho-social issues that may occur in response to changing mental health and alcohol and/or other drug needs.
- Broad knowledge of mental health and substance abuse disorders and their interaction.
- Broad knowledge of DSM IV diagnostic classification system and case formulation.
- Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology.
- Broad knowledge of legislation, government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Basic knowledge of other health disciplines and their role in health care.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills to promote communication and leading to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multi/interdisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and facilitate the development of an integrated system of addiction and mental health services, including working with specialty substance abuse and mental health agencies, and other related professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to gather relevant information to make a multi-dimensional substance misuse and mental health assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete a psychiatric assessment, case formulation and, in consultation with the client, to create a treatment plan that addresses both substance misuse and any level of mental disorder.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a variety of theoretical models to practice in assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to draw out and honour information that will contribute to understanding of the client’s situation.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond appropriately to emergent situations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients, colleagues, referral sources, medical personnel, and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and problem solve in pressure situations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order) as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.