|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) Med/Surg - Surgical Short Stay|
|Work Site: ||Short Stay Unit, UBC Hospital - Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Regular Part Time (0.66 FTE)|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Registered Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Short Stay Unit at UBC Hospital in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse in a Med/Surg capacity with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Provide nursing care to assigned patients/clients by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care.
- Participate in discharge planning, function as a client advocate and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Short Stay Surgeries.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Neurological - seizures, stroke, spinal injuries, ALS, MS; Cardiovascular - heart failure, angina, MI; Respiratory - asthma, COPD, pneumonia; Gastrointestinal - peritonitis, pancreatitis, hepatic failure; Genitourinary - renal failure; Hematology - immunodeficiency, thrombosis; Endocrine/Glandular; Musculoskeletal.)
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Neurological - stroke; Cardiovascular - cardiac arrest, septic shock, arrhythmia; Respiratory - ineffective airways, impaired gas exchange; Gastrointestinal - abdominal assessments and drainage, liver profile, enteral feeding; Genitourinary - nephrotoxic agents, AV Fistula, urine and creatinine assessments; Endocrine - blood sugar, electrolytes, hormone replacement; Musculoskeletal - skin and muscle evaluations, immobilizers, pharmacological agents, wound care; Hematology - CBC, WBC, administration of blood products).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with non-invasive ventilation (CPAP); enteral feeding tubes; special urinary catheters; other care related pumps, catheters, tubes, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with post-operative anxiety, discomfort, pain, and/or complications; complex pain management issues; sensitivity to opioids, opioid tolerance; or cardiac issues. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of complex wound/ostomy care, catheterization, gastrointestinal tubes/drains, compartment syndrome, blood glucose monitoring, and pharmacological agents.
- Demonstrated skill in IV insulin management, enteral nutrition, administering blood and blood product transfusions, and infection monitoring of invasive sites or devices (CVC/PICC).
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.