|Job Title: ||Research Scientist, Microbiology|
|Work Site: ||VGH 12th & Oak|
Temporary Part Time (0.50 FTE)
March 2022 to approximately February 2023
Days off: Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays
Come work as a Research Scientist, Microbiology with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Research Scientist, Microbiology to join the team at VGH 12th & Oak. Apply today to join our team!
As a Research Scientist, Microbiology with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Undertake research experiments to investigate the microbial efficacy and durability of self-sanitizing surfaces using microbiological and molecular biology techniques for research purposes.
- Be responsible for coordinating the day-to-day activities of research projects to ensure the research objectives of the group are met.
- Be a part of and exceptionally talented team and collaborate with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Have strong writing and communication skills to deliver presentations when required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve, and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Education & Experience
- Masters’ Degree in a relevant field (Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Laboratory Medicine, etc.) is preferred.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an appropriate discipline required.
- Three (3) years’ recent, related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, cell culture, environmental microbiology and time-kill survey required
- Experience working in a laboratory (clinical or research) is an asset.
- Experience working with microbial samples and nucleic acids as well as expertise in Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) is preferred.
- Fieldwork or clinical microbiology laboratory experience is not needed, but is an asset.
- Organized and detail oriented individual who can plan and carry out experiments independently is required.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of antimicrobial susceptibility testing and environmental sampling.
- Demonstrated knowledge of phage assays for viral susceptibility/viability testing.
- Receiving and archiving copper discs from UBC Materials Engineering.
- Receiving, archiving and processing Petrifilm plates from auditing teams sampling Vancouver Transit vehicles.
- Performing complex technical tasks such as antimicrobial susceptibility and generation of resistance testing, processing of copper samples/Petrifilm plates and selected bacteria for nucleic acid extraction and molecular testing.
- Setting up bacterial environmental experiments to assess bacterial susceptibility/viability to copper and other self-sanitizing surfaces.
- Setting up bacterial resistance experiments.
- Setting up and maintaining cell line cultures
- Setting up bacteriophage experiments to evaluate viral viability/susceptibility to copper.
- Participating in the troubleshooting of experimental procedures.
- Monitoring and ensuring the regular ordering and inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents.
- Coordinating and performing the general laboratory duties, preparation and purchase of laboratory reagents.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare laboratory reagents and Petrifilm plates.
- Demonstrated ability to compile and enter data into spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret laboratory data.
- Demonstrated ability to write and present results to the project team.
- Regular liaising and coordination with auditing teams and other partners.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct education sessions and mock trials with partners and teams.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct regular literature reviews.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, work independently and manage time.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including the ability to function as a team member, communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Please note: The duration of this temporary position is until approximately February 2023.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.