|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) - Palliative Care|
|Work Site: ||Nancy Chan Palliative Care Ambulatory Clinic - Vancouver, BC|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Various
Come work as a Registered Nurse in Palliative Care at Lions Gate Hospital with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to support the Nancy Chan Palliative Care Ambulatory Clinic in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
As an RN in Palliative Care you will:
- Provide nursing care to achieve quality symptom management, goals of care conversations and/or end of life care to clients by assessing their needs, establishing care goals and initiating referrals to other interdisciplinary team members or agencies, as required.
- Provide nursing support to community-based clients/families/caregivers who are receiving palliative care, facing complex physical, psychosocial, spiritual and/or practical difficulties arising from advanced progressive life-limiting illness.
- Plan and evaluate the care needs of clients with a life limiting illness within an ambulatory care setting by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Assess the client’s physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs and enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Promote the palliative philosophy and approach to care.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice by maintaining and advancing your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated program committees/teams and approved research projects, as assigned.
Education & Experience
Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Two (2) years’ recent, related palliative care experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to palliative patient/client group.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices, pathophysiology and trajectory of disorder/disease related to common diagnosis and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. cancer, end stage cardiac, COPD, neurological disease such as ALS or MS, chronic renal disease, end stage liver disease, metabolic disorders, or HIV/AIDS, dementia, frailty).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments and interventions related to common diagnosis and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated client/patient population.
- Demonstrated knowledge of approaches and systems in place (e.g. RPace, EPAIRS, MAID.)
- Comprehensive knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrates ability to provide culturally safe care to diverse populations including Aboriginal People.
- Demonstrates an understanding of Trauma Informed Practice and Harm Reduction
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments, integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and maintain competency in the applicable equipment such as central venous access devices, chest tubes, catheters, drains and oxygen delivery equipment.
- Demonstrated skill in palliative symptom assessment and management
- Demonstrated skill in conducting goals of care conversations and in understanding the care goals and what is most important to the patient.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to operate related equipment including applicable software applications
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.