|Job Title: ||Ethicist|
|Work Site: ||VGH 12th & Oak & Richmond Community|
Temporary Full Time
September 2021 to approximately October 2022
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays
Come work as an Ethicist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for an Ethicist to join the Professional Practice team. Apply today to join our team!
As an Ethicist with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Act as an expert resource, responsible for contributing to building the ethics capacity and to meeting the ethics needs of Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH).
- Foster and maintain broad internal and external contacts for the purpose of developing, implementing and nurturing an organizational response for ethics issues, dilemmas and initiatives.
- Address ethical issues through analysis, consultation and presentation of current interdisciplinary ethical dialogue in light of the Mission, Vision and Values of VCH. Key working relationships include Operation and Corporate Directors/Managers throughout VCH, Medical Directors, Staff, Physicians, and Patients/Clients/Residents and Community Stakeholders.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Education & Experience
- PhD in Heath Care Ethics, Philosophy, or Applied Ethics, with relevant experience and/or Fellowship in Ethics or;
- Master Degree in Ethics or Bioethics with relevant experience and/or Fellowship in Ethics, or;
- Other Degrees/Professional Designation with relevant experience and/or Fellowship in Ethics
- For all qualifications categories above, it is preferable to have two (2) years’ recent, related experience in a clinical setting including previous teaching, writing and/or research in the area of clinical ethics
- Valid BC Driver’s license as local area travel requires the use of a vehicle
Knowledge & Abilities
- Ethics knowledge, expertise and delivery
- Demonstrates high quality and differentiated understanding of principle-based, contextual and other contemporary approaches to ethics
- Possesses expert analytical and information sharing abilities
- Formulates recommendations based on systematic analyses of ethical dilemmas while considering the interdependence of organizational systems and stakeholders
- Demonstrates awareness of and sensitivity to issues of diversity
- Demonstrates initiative and leadership skills in the management of ethical issues, policy input and/or development, review and implementation in a diverse environment
- Possesses effective presentation and teaching skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and deliver education programs and materials including on-line and webinar resources
- Responds to the needs of health care, public, and community stakeholders. Fosters collaboration and effective working relationships that promote cooperative goals and contribute to an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect
- Defines a vision and facilitates, guides and mentors individuals and groups towards the vision, while maintaining group cohesiveness, motivation, commitment and effectiveness
- Identifies and implements improvements in work systems and manages resources to ensure that the highest possible level of quality service is achieved within existing financial parameters
- Possesses advanced communication skills
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing such that messages are understood and understands the essence and subtleties of the communication for the intended audience
- Possesses advanced problem-solving and conflict resolution and mediation skills
- Applies superior conflict management skills and expertise to persuade and negotiate effectively to lead and implement change and/or resolve issues/disputes
- Demonstrates ability to work successfully in a team setting and to work independently
- Accepts new initiatives and champions the implementation process amongst team members
- Demonstrates ability to develop, prioritize and accomplish objectives
- Demonstrates ability to plan and organize workload activity
- Demonstrates ability to use work processing, spreadsheet, database, project management and presentation software applications
- Possesses physical ability to perform the duties of the position
Please note: The duration of this temporary position is until approximately October 2022.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.