|Job Title: ||Occupational Therapist 2 - Priority Access|
Priority Access Team, 520 West 6th Ave - Vancouver, BC
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible
|Salary: ||$37.24 - $46.39 per hour|
Come work as an Occupational Therapist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for an Occupational Therapist to join the Priority Access team in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As an Occupational Therapist you will:
- Work collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary care team to determine care needs and facilitate the placement of clients who meet the care criteria required for Priority Access registration into residential care, assisted living or supported housing for person’s with disabilities.
- Perform duties including: assessing client’s physical status, functional abilities and needs and goals as well as developing and implementing an intervention strategy and evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention.
- Review documents and assessments from other health care professionals in order to prepare comprehensive client packages.
- Liaise with care facilities to review prospective clients and ensure appropriateness of clients for placement.
- Identify/assess potential legal, ethical and professional implications of decisions.
- Develop and enhance community communications/relationships, provide consultation services, engage in on-going team planning, program/service development, evaluations and quality improvement activities to achieve excellence in client care.
Education & Experience
- Clinical Degree in Occupational Therapy.
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience, preferably in community health, including experience in home care, residential care and geriatric assessment centres or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Prior direct experience working in Priority Access or on a Facility Liaison Team in a residential setting is an asset.
- Current full registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC).
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT).
- Valid BC Driver’s License and use of personal vehicle for local area travel.
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of provincial legislation and Health Authority standards and policies related to Residential Care Access Policy and to the broad determinants of health.
- Demonstrated skill and expertise in working with a geriatric population and adults with complex physical disabilities and its associated psychosocial and residential care/housing issues.
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational therapy standardized tests and measures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational therapy theory and practice within a client and family/care giver centred model of care.
- Comprehensive knowledge of hospitals’ and residential facilities’ policies, procedures, standards of care and hospital discharge processes, including Alternative Level of Care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the current long term care service delivery system.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care and the ability to recognize when referrals to other health care professional(s) is required and appropriate.
- Basic knowledge of evidence-based clinical practice related to designated program/area.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others as an effective team member, consultant and leader.
- Demonstrated ability to apply skills of facilitation, mediation and conflict resolution. Demonstrated ability to analyze, apply critical thinking and problem solving skills and the ability to facilitate the development of critical thinking and clinical decision making skills in others.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and empower clients to assume control over own health.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate respectfully, tactfully and effectively with co-workers, physicians and other health care staff and clients both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others in a complex health care environment.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan, organize and prioritize a complex caseload and adapt to a changing workload.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to change.
- Broad knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to use related equipment,
- Basic computer literacy with word processing, spreadsheet and database skills.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.