|Job Title: ||Public Health Nurse (RN)|
|Work Site: ||Public Health, Squamish Health Unit - Squamish, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Part Time (0.84 FTE)|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible until approximately January 2022
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Public Health Nurse at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Squamish Health Unit as a Public Health Nurse. Apply today to join our team!
As a Public Health Nurse with VCH you will:
- Utilize Public Health nursing knowledge and expertise to promote and protect the optimal health, well being and safety of infants, young children, youth, adults and families at all ages and life stages through universal and targeted programming.
- Provide a full continuum of services including prevention, health promotion and early intervention services to individuals/groups in a variety of community based settings.
- Establish and maintain multidisciplinary and community partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify the client as an individual/community/system and determine necessary interventions using a continuum of Public Health Nursing interventions such as screening, assessment, referral, advocacy, surveillance and monitoring, education and consultation.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Completion of specialty nursing certificate/certified practice (BCCNM) as applicable and two (2) years' recent, related public health nursing experience including experience related to the population applicable to the job or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Driver's License and access to personal vehicle for local area travel.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of public health nursing theory, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of community development and health promotion principles and practices.
- Comprehensive knowledge of evidence informed nursing practice related to normal growth and development of relevant populations and appropriate screening and referral processes.
- Knowledge of communicable disease control practices and procedures including: prevention, promotion, reporting responsibilities and related procedures and immunization practices, including up to date immunization competency.
- Knowledge of Baby Friendly initiative, including completion of relevant breastfeeding course(s).
- Demonstrated certified skills/abilities to provide contraceptive management and to assess and treat sexually transmitted infections.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with co-workers, physicians, other health care staff, clients and their families and outside agencies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care, the ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with co-workers, care team and community partners and the ability to identify and facilitate community resources appropriate to clients’ and families’ needs.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel, teach, facilitate and coach individuals, families and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to deal sensitively and tactfully with clients and provide culturally sensitive nursing services to diverse and marginalized populations.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritise work.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze situations, problem solve and facilitate resolutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with others to make evidence informed decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new and unexpected events.
- Demonstrated facilitation, mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational materials based on education theories and best practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic research principles and procedures, such as research ethics, research question, hypothesis and qualitative vs. quantitative data analysis methods, and demonstrated ability to participate in research.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system as well as applicable word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.