|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) Med/Surg - Hospitalist Medicine|
|Work Site: ||Hospitalist Medicine, Vancouver General Hospital|
|Status: ||Temporary Full Time|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible until approximately October 2021
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Registered Nurse in Hospitalist Medicine at Vancouver General Hospital!
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for an RN to join its team in the Hospitalist Medicine unit at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team! As a Registered Nurse in the Hospitalist Medicine unit you will:
- Provide nursing care to assigned patients/clients by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care for patients who present with acute medical illnesses.
- Participate in discharge planning, function as a client advocate and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated patient/client group- Hospitalist Acute Medicine
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Dementia; Delirium; Diabetes; Liver disease (including cirrhosis); Renal disease; Failure to thrive; CHF; COPD; UTI; Pneumonia; Alcohol and drug dependency)
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Oxygenation and airway maintenance; IV Therapy; Dysphagia; Continuous Bladder Irrigation (CBI); Dementia and delirium management; Sepsis; Complex wound care; Ulcer management; Palliative care (including pain management); Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.)
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Oxygen delivery equipment; other care related pumps, bladder scanner and catheters.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with dementia and/or delirium. Differentiates between symptoms of dementia and/or delirium; Utilizes appropriate tool to determine and addresses underlying causes.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of: Chest tubes; Cytotoxic agents; Complex wounds; Catheters including CVCs; Feeding tubes; Medication assessment and administration relevant to patient population (e.g. insulin, anticoagulants, primary/secondary IV infusions, narcotics).
- Demonstrated skill in assessing, maintaining, troubleshooting CVC; CVC/PICC maintenance; Administering blood and blood product transfusions; TPN/Enteral Nutrition.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.