|Job Title: ||Polysomnographic Technologist|
|Work Site: ||Sleep Program, Richmond Hospital - Richmond, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Part Time (0.92 FTE)|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible until approximately May 2022
|Salary: ||$31.99 - $39.98 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Polysomnographic Technologist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Polysomnographic Technologist to join the Sleep Program at Richmond Hospital in Richmond, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
As a Polysomnographic Technologist with VCH you will:
- Perform polysomnograms for the diagnosis and treatment of sleep/arousal disorders, including the management of nasal positive airway pressure titration for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
- Perform duties including:
- receiving requisitions,
- entering relevant data into a computerized database,
- preparing patients for specific studies,
- conducting various tests involving non-invasive techniques including electroencephalography, electrooculography, electromyography, electrocardiography, multiple sleep latency and respiratory tracings,
- monitoring patient during procedures,
- recording measurements,
- formulating technical reports for interpretation by medical staff in clinical diagnosis,
- and monitoring equipment performance.
Education & Experience
- Diploma in a health care discipline such as respiratory therapy, nursing or electroneurophysiology technology from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of one year’s recent, related experience in sleep study work or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Eligible for registration as a Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT).
- Current certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of evidence-based polysomnographic practice related to conducting various tests, and recording and analyzing a variety of physical parameters on patients involving non-invasive techniques.
- Broad knowledge of polysomnographic theory and practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of the sleep-induced physiological changes in various body systems including the neurological, musculoskeletal, cardiac, and respiratory systems.
- Broad knowledge of the physiological and behavioral alterations associated with sleep/wake pathology.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Broad knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, physicians, other health care staff, clients and their families, both one-on-one and in-groups.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the interpretation of electroencephalographic, electrooculographic, electromyographic, electrocardiographic, multiple sleep latency tests and respiratory tracings so as to be able to intervene appropriately during a sleep study.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques and the use of a variety of monitoring devices and instrumentation required for sleep studies including electrocardiograph, pulse oximeter, electroencephalograph and electromyography equipment.
- Demonstrated skill and understanding in the use of a variety of ventilator supportive devices such as home ventilators, BIPAP and CPAP.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Computer literacy with word processing, spreadsheet and database skills
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.