|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) / Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) - Psychiatry|
|Work Site: ||Magnolia House - North Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Part Time - Vacation Relief (0.47 FTE)|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible until approximately June 2021
|Salary: ||$35.53 - $46.65 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Nurse in Psychiatry with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the team at Magnolia House in Psychiatry. Apply today to join our team!
As a part of the Magnolia House team you will:
- Provide nursing care to assigned psychiatric patients, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Provide nursing services for clients before, during and after undergoing Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) treatment and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) treatment both by working independently and as a member of an integrated care team.
- Enhance the quality of life from the perspective of the patient/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement and best practice approach in nursing practice.
- Provide education and support to the client and family.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Certification in Mental Health Nursing or two (2) years’ recent, related experience in an acute psychiatric setting.
- When applying for electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) treatment programs, job requires completion of a recognized critical care nursing program or two (2) years recent, related critical care experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of mental health issues and treatments.
- Knowledge of community mental health services, resources, and referral procedures.
- Applicable to ECT and TMS treatment programs, knowledge of the indications, actions, reactions, routes, dosages, and side effects of anesthetic and other drugs used in critical care environment as well as nursing problems commonly encountered in a critical care environment.
- Applicable to ECT and TMS treatment programs, demonstrated ability in the initiation and management of IV therapy and administration of IV medications.
- Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to client.
- Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability to respond immediately and appropriately to sudden emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses during procedure and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with patients and their families, colleagues, physicians, and other health care providers, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to assessment of behaviour and to assisting patients to regain or improve their coping abilities, and to prevent further disability.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and co-lead group sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage aggressive and suicidal behaviour.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans.
- Demonstrated ability to assess patient responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated skill in conscious sedation techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques appropriate to a critical care environment.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of critical care monitoring and support equipment.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized patient care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.