|Job Title: |
Prevention Specialist - Youth Mental Health & Addictions
(Bachelors Degree in a Social or Behavioural Science)
|Work Site: ||Youth Alcohol and Drug, Kitsilano - Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Full Time|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible
|Salary: ||$31.36 - $39.10 per hour|
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays
Come work as a Prevention Specialist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Prevention Specialist with a Bachelor's Degree in Social or Behavioural Science to join its Youth Alcohol and Drug team in the Kitsilano neighbourhood in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Prevention Specialist with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Plan and implement proactive approaches for harm prevention and health promotion services to designated clients within the applicable program.
- Identify populations in need of prevention services within the community; utilize a health promotion and prevention planning model, and liaise with members of the public and community agencies involved with targeted high risk populations.
- Deliver specific courses/programs to meet identified client or group needs and present educational programs and provide advice to community professionals, groups or individuals.
- Provide life skills training to clients and groups.
- Provide screening and brief intervention counseling services to youth, families, adults and groups.
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors Degree in a Social or Behavioural Science from a recognized program.
- Two (2) years recent related experience providing prevention services and support, counseling/treatment and health promotion and/or harm prevention to the designated client population.
- Valid BC Driver’s License. Local area travel requires the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of and commitment to strengths-based, client-centred counselling practice.
- Knowledge of community development, community health agencies and services.
- Knowledge of the range of treatment options and modalities for treatment and services for the designated client population.
- Knowledge of solutions and strategies to reduce various barriers to care for the designated client population.
- Knowledge of facilitation, mediation and conflict resolution techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to work competently with the designated program/client population.
- Knowledge of health inequities faced by designated client population.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain supportive, trusting and professional relationships with youth and families.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrative ability to prepare and maintain a variety of charts, records and reports
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload and adapt to a changing community.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver in-service education sessions to lay and professional groups.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a range of needs assessments with both individuals/groups.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing health promotion and prevention programs.
This posting has been posted internally and externally concurrently. External applicants will be considered after internals.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.