|Job Title: ||Social Worker 2 - Access and Assessment Centre|
|Work Site: ||Access and Assessment Center, Joseph & Rosalie Segal & Family Health Centre - Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Regular Part Time - Vacation Relief (0.62 FTE)|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible
|Salary: ||$36.27 - $45.25 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Social Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Social Worker with a Master's Degree to join the Access and Assessment Center team at Joseph & Rosalie Segal & Family Health Centre in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Social Worker with VCH you will:
- Work from a harm reduction, culturally safe, trauma informed, recovery oriented, and client-centred model of care.
- Conduct comprehensive social and psycho-social assessments.
- Collaborate with the client and interdisciplinary team to facilitate transitions through the continuum of services for clients with complex discharge and/or intake/referral needs across multiple sites, clinics, services.
- This includes: clients, family members, primary care/mental health/ substance use service providers, private General Practitioner (GP) partners, community care partners and services.
- Provide consultative and direct services to clients, families, staff and community health professionals regarding issues such as adult guardianship, advanced directives, domestic violence, abuse and/or neglect, immigration, housing, financial concerns, or matters concerning government agencies (public trustee) and authorities (courts, police).
- Prepare and maintain client records in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures.
- Use health management and/or self-care management principles to identify problems, address issues or variances from the plan of care in collaboration with the entire interdisciplinary team and any other health care services involved.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
ABOUT THE ACCESS & ASSESSMENT CENTRE (AAC)
The AAC serves as a single point of access for mental health services for residents of Vancouver ages 17+. Services include urgent assessments, crisis intervention, outreach support and referral to Mental Health and Substance Use services. Open 7 days a week, 7:30 am to 11:00 pm, the AAC provides easily accessible care that eliminates the need for clients to navigate a complicated system or default to Hospital Emergency Departments for their mental health and substance use needs.
Education & Experience
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
- Master’s Degree of Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work.
- Two (2) years experience working in a health care setting providing assessment and treatment services to individuals with complex mental health, substance use and chronic medical concerns or equivalent.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Knowledge and experience in providing culturally safe and competent care, specifically pertaining to Indigenous peoples.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with clients, families, team members, other groups and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to assess clients at risk and knowledge of appropriate acts; e.g. Mental Health Act, Adult Guardianship, Public Health Act as it relates to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Broad knowledge of mental illness, substance use and addictions treatment.
- Broad knowledge of systems thinking as it related to social work process.
- Broad knowledge of other health disciplines and their role in healthcare.
- Broad knowledge of research methodology, counselling skills and clinical practice models.
- Broad knowledge of family, group and change therapy.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and use critical thinking skills.
- Broad knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems theory to practice in Social Work assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psycho-social-spiritual assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and influence group and inter-group processes, decision making and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with clients and families
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events and deal effectively with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated understanding of health care ethics and ability to incorporate ethical decision making in practice.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct comprehensive risk assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with clients and caregivers in order to explore issues that are beyond the initial presented concerns
- Broad understanding of harm reduction and trauma-informed care.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.