|Job Title: ||Concurrent Disorders Youth Counsellor|
|Work Site: ||Youth Alcohol and Drug, Youth Outreach Mental Health - Vancouver, BC|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time|
|Start Date: |
As soon as possible
|Salary: ||$34.95 - $43.58 per hour|
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and statutory holidays
Come work as a Concurrent Disorders Youth Counsellor with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Counsellor with a Master's Degree in Counselling, Counselling Psychology, or Social Work to join the Youth Alcohol and Drug team with Youth Outreach Mental Health. Apply today to join our team!
As a Concurrent Disorders Youth Counsellor you will:
- Provide screening and assessment services to youth clients.
- Identify the existence of concurrent disorders including mental health and/or substance abuse problems.
- Conduct substance abuse, psychiatric, bio-psycho-social assessments, mental status examinations and case formulations.
- Develop and implement outcome orientated treatment plans that cover both mental health and substance use disorders.
- Provide treatment services to youth clients including individual, group and family therapy and education according to theoretical models.
- Collaborate with others to facilitate the management of cases and coordinate care using a supportive case management approach within the principles of harm reduction.
- Facilitate the development of youth mental health, addiction, and concurrent disorders prevention and early identification strategies.
- Participate in case conferences/meetings with members of the multidisciplinary team for identification and management of youth mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Participate in developing and providing education services and contribute to program development in order to meet the needs of the youth population with concurrent disorders.
- Collaborate, consult and provide clinical support and education to colleagues for continuity of care, treatment concerns, specialized services and community resource coordination.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in Counselling, Counselling Psychology or Social Work from a recognized program.
- Three (3) years’ recent related experience providing professional services to youth who have substance abuse issues and/or mental health illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of psychotherapeutic and counselling skills.
- Broad knowledge of bio-psycho-social issues that may occur in response to changing mental health and alcohol and/or other drug needs.
- Broad knowledge of youth mental health and substance abuse disorders and their interaction.
- Broad knowledge of DSM IV diagnostic classification system and case formulation.
- Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology.
- Broad knowledge of legislation, government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and facilitate the development of an integrated system of addiction and mental health services, including working with specialty substance abuse and mental health agencies, and other related professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to gather relevant information to make a multi-dimensional substance misuse and mental health assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete a psychiatric assessment, case formulation and, in consultation with the client, to create a treatment plan that addresses both substance misuse and any level of mental disorder.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a variety of theoretical models to practice in assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond appropriately to emergent situations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients, colleagues, referral sources, medical personnel, and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, analyze and problem solve in pressure situations.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.