|Job Title: ||Mental Health & Addiction Counsellor|
|Work Site: ||Adult Mental Health, Sunshine Coast Community Health Centre|
|Status: ||Casual |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$34.95 - $43.58 per hour|
0830 - 1630
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and Statutory Holidays
Come work as a Mental Health & Addiction Counsellor with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Mental Health & Addiction Counsellor to join the Sunshine Coast Community Health Centre. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health & Addiction Counsellor with VCH, you will:
- Provide screening and assessment services to clients.
- Identify the existence of mental health, substance use, and concurrent disorders; conducts mental health and addictions bio-psycho-social assessments, mental status examinations, case formulations and complete DSM IV diagnoses.
- Develop and implement outcome orientated treatment plans that cover both mental health and/or substance use disorders.
- Provides treatment services to clients including individual, group, couples and family therapy and education according to theoretical models.
- Collaborate with others to facilitate the management of cases; coordinates care using a supportive case management approach within the principles of harm reduction or in accordance with client needs.
- Participate in case conferences/meetings with members of the multidisciplinary team for identification and management of client mental health issues.
- Participate in developing and providing education services and contributes to program development in order to meet the needs of the population with mental disorders, addictions, and/or concurrent disorders.
- Collaborate, consult and provide clinical support and education to colleagues for continuity of care, treatment concerns, specialized services and community resource coordination.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in a Behavioural Science from a recognized program.
- Three (3) years’ recent related experience providing professional services to individuals who have substance abuse and mental health illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of psychotherapeutic and counselling skills.
- Broad knowledge of bio-psycho-social issues that may occur in response to changing mental health and alcohol and/or other drug needs.
- Broad knowledge of mental health and substance abuse disorders and their interaction.
- Broad knowledge of DSM IV diagnostic classification system and case formulation.
- Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology.
- Broad knowledge of legislation, government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Broad knowledge of healthcare and community services available to applicable client group.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and facilitate the development of an integrated system of addiction and mental health services, including working with specialty substance abuse and mental health agencies, and other related professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to gather relevant information to make a multi-dimensional substance misuse and mental health assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete a psychiatric assessment, case formulation and, in consultation with the client, to create a treatment plan that addresses both substance misuse and any level of mental disorder.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a variety of theoretical models to practice in assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond appropriately to emergent situations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients, colleagues, referral sources, medical personnel, and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, analyze and problem solve in pressure situations.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.