|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) - Surgical Suites|
|Work Site: ||Eye Care Centre Surgical Suite, Vancouver General Hospital|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time (1.00 FTE)|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$35.53 - $46.65 per hour|
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays
Come work as a Registered Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Eye Care Centre Surgical Suite at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse in an Operating Room environment at Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Provide nursing care to clients in post-anesthetic recovery both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team, and provide nursing services in an operating room environment as a member of an integrated team performing varied and complex surgical interventions.
- Enhance the quality of life of the client/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care givers as well as with other members of operating room team.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Completion of a recognized advanced nursing specialty program in operating room nursing, or two years’ recent, related experience in an operating room/post-anesthetic recovery environment.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNM standards for nursing practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of perioperative nursing techniques and standards, and instrumentation and equipment set ups, for a wide variety of surgical procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Comprehensive knowledge of pharmacology, and client physiological reactions, related to anesthesia and conscious sedation, including knowledge of other drugs used in post-anesthetic recovery.
- Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice in an operating room environment including ability to admit, assess and manage clients perioperatively and in post-anesthetic recovery.
- Demonstrated ability to respond immediately and appropriately to sudden emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as an integral member of an operating room team.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses during surgery, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with, and deal effectively with, clients and their families, co-workers, physicians, and other health care staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in writing accurately, concisely, and clearly.
- Demonstrated ability to teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated skill in conscious sedation techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Skill in the use of and set up of operating room equipment.
- Skill in techniques appropriate to the operating room and post-anesthetic recovery environments.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.