|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) - Med/Surg - Thoracic|
|Work Site: ||Thoracic Respiratory Unit, Vancouver General Hospital|
|Status: ||Casual |
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$35.53 - $46.65 per hour|
Come work as a Registered Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Thoracic Respiratory Unit at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse with VCH you will:
- Provide nursing care to assigned patients/clients working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care for designated thoracic patient/client group.
- Participate in discharge planning, function as a client advocate and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance the quality of life of the client/family.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Respiratory Medicine and Thoracic Surgery.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Thoracic surgery procedures; Pulmonary Resections (wedge, segmental, lobectomy); Lung Transplantation; Respiratory illness/disease; Lung cancer; Cystic Fibrosis; Hypercapnic / hypoxemic respiratory failure).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Open lung biopsy; Chest tube management, Large/Small bore; BiPAP; Pre/post-operative care for bronchoscopy; Pneumothorax, thoracostomy; PleurX Pleural Catheter; Oxygen therapy; PAH - Prostacyclin infusions).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with chest patient related drainage systems, tubes, catheters, infusion pumps.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with acute postop pain, including use of thoracic epidurals and patient controlled analgesia, Ketamine, Neuropathic pain, Continuous Peripheral Nerve Block. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of patients with a pleural chest tube, tracheostomy.
- Demonstrated skill in PICC line (peripherally-inserted central catheter) and central venous catheter dressing change, capping and flushing, drawing blood, & removal
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.