|Job Title: ||Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Operating Room|
|Work Site: ||Operating Rooms, Richmond Hospital - Richmond, BC|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$28.15 - $32.02 per hour|
0715-1530 / 1500-2315 / 0900-1715
Casual shifts as required
Come work as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the Operating Rooms at Richmond Hospital!
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Licensed Practical Nurse to join the team in the Operating Rooms at Richmond Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Licensed Practical Nurse with VCH you will:
- Provide practical nursing services in a team nursing approach in an operating room environment as a member of an integrated surgical team performing varied and complex surgical interventions.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other members of the surgical team in facilitating safe and effective surgical interventions through performance of circulating and scrubbing duties in accordance with established standards and protocols; this includes pre-operative, operative, and post-operative activities such as assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating and documenting client care, and providing support to clients and their families.
- Demonstrate advanced practical nursing skills and techniques.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses with the full range of current licensed practical nursing competencies, and graduation from an accredited operating room program for Licensed Practical Nurses plus two years’ recent, related experience working as a Licensed Practical Nurse in acute care, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current practicing registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Current basic cardiac life support certification.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to apply principles of licensed practical nursing practice in an operating room environment for a variety of surgical specialties such as general surgery, urology, gynecology, plastics, ophthalmology, ears/nose/throat, vascular surgery and orthopedics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of perioperative nursing roles, techniques, standards, instrumentation, supply, equipment requirements and safe medication practices for a wide variety of surgical procedures within the operating room.
- Demonstrated ability to perform scrubbing duties in accordance with established standards and protocols. (i.e. maintenance of sterile field, instrument preparation, passing and care during surgery, draping, surgical count, specimen care)
- Demonstrated ability to perform circulating duties in accordance with established standards and protocols. (i.e. focused assessment, surgical count, assisting anesthesia including assisting with induction, emergence, patient positioning, patient preparation, circulating role immediately prior to, during and post-procedure, specimen care).
- Demonstrated ability to practice and advocate for principles of asepsis and sterile conscience in the scrub role, circulator role and immediate post-operative care setting in a team nursing approach.
- Demonstrated ability to practice in a safe and ethical manner according to OR Policies and Procedures, Hospital/Regional Policy, ORNAC Standards and BCCNM Standards for Nursing Practice. Has knowledge of and accesses appropriate resources embedded within the service delivery model to support nursing practice. Knows when and how to seek out clinical support and guidance as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group by alerting the RN and/or most responsible provider.
- Demonstrated understanding of roles/responsibilities of team members, geography, function, traffic patterns, and supplies/equipment process in the departments that make up peri-operative services.
- Demonstrated ability to operate equipment (i.e. suctions, lights, laparoscopic instruments, electrosurgery unit (ESU), and pneumatic tourniquet) according to manufacturers’ instructions and ensure instruments and equipment function safely and in an appropriate manner including following procedure for repairs, replacement and/or removal from use.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care including relevant assessments and interventions and responses on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to meet knowledge and skill requirements consistent with LPN scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population in the context of an interprofessional collaborative practice environment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.