|Job Title: ||Occupational Hygienist|
|Work Site: ||Safety and Prevention - Vancouver, BC|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays
Come work as an Occupational Hygenist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for an Occupational Hygenist with a Master's Degree to join the Safety and Prevention team in Vancouver, BC. In this role you will promote a positive safety culture to eliminate occupational exposures, injuries and illness. Apply today to join our team!
As an Occupational Hygenist with VCH you will:
- Consult and advise stakeholders on the interpretation of applicable occupational hygiene regulations and standards of practice; and appropriate mitigation and/or prevention measures.
- Provide content expertise and leadership in the development of VCH Occupational Hygiene programs, including written program manuals, education/training materials, and standard operating procedures.
- Develop implementation plans, in consultation with OHS Advisors, including communication plans.
- Monitor and maintain programs, in consultation with OHS Advisors and Operations stakeholders, by identifying metrics, developing audit plans, conducting regular program review/revision and conducting or facilitating sampling/monitoring of environmental contaminants and physicals hazards.
- Collaborate with OHS Advisors to investigate occupational hygiene issues arising from operational activities.
- Engage staff, managers and senior leaders in the analysis of staff safety data and support them in the development of action plans to address issues.
- Prevent and reduce the occurrence of workplace injuries by supporting effective investigation of accidents/exposures, and providing analysis and interpretation of unusual conditions/safety concerns and recommendations to prevent future occurrences (education, discipline, etc).
- Collaborate with OHS Advisors to review safety reports and achievement of indicators with entity managers, and in areas where concerns are identified, assists managers to develop action plans to address those issues.
- Represent VCH’s interests in dealing with stakeholder groups such as WorkSafeBC or other Health Authorities on matters related to Occupational Hygiene.
- Promote safety awareness through on-going education and training throughout the health authority to enable staff to safely carry out their responsibilities.
- Coordinate and maintain the department’s hygiene equipment.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Occupational Hygiene from a recognized institution plus five (5) years’ professional experience in a unionized healthcare environment, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Education and training.
- Verbal and written communication and engagement.
- Systems thinking.
- Current computer literacy in Excel, Power Point, Word.
- Applicable legislation and regulations.
- Workplace health and hygiene theory and techniques.
- Safety theory and techniques.
- Hazardous materials.
- WSBC claims process.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.