|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN)/Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) - Long Term Care|
|Work Site: ||Chronic-Complex Care Unit, Willingdon Creek Village - Powell River, BC|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$35.53 - $46.65 per hour|
Come work as a Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the team at Willingdon Creek Village in Powell RIver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse in Long Term Care you will:
- Use sound judgment and apply critical thinking skills in providing resident care to predominantly older residents in a Long Term Care setting, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice and coordinate the implementation of clinical interventions and evaluation of resident outcomes based on resident goals of care.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information and coordination of ongoing resident care.
- Support the work of RCA’s and LPN’s and support cohesive team work to ensure resident centered care.
- Enhance quality of life of the resident/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Loan Forgiveness: Recent graduates in select in-demand occupations may be eligible to have their B.C. Student Loan and/or their Canada Student Loan forgiven by agreeing to work at publicly-funded facilities in underserved communities in B.C.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
ABOUT POWELL RIVER, BC
On the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, where endless green mountains meet sheltered Pacific Ocean waters, Powell River provides a stimulating blend of outdoor adventure and cultural amenities. Originally founded as a resource extraction centre - once home to the world's largest pulp and paper mill - Powell River now offers adventurers countless opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, golfing, boating, hiking, biking, fishing, and scuba diving. This area is host to world-class art galleries, tremendous dining opportunities, and memorable events and festivals.
On the doorstep of both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, the Powell River region offers an array of experiences for travelers of all kinds, no matter the season. Experience the legendary Sunshine Coast Trail and Powell Forest Canoe Route, rock-climb the Eldred Valley, snowshoe in the Knuckleheads; this is the adventure destination you've long been waiting for.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Completion of an approved gerontology course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to residents who may have chronic diseases.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology of common medical conditions, aging changes, polypharmacy, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations related to care of adults living in Long Term Care (e.g. Stroke, Chest pain, Pneumonia; Pain management; Wound Care; Delirium; Dementia; Depression; other mental health conditions; Frail elderly residents with physical and/or cognitive impairments including Acquired Brain Injuries; Chronic illnesses such as COPD and CHF, Diabetes).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations relevant to residents (e.g. Respiratory symptoms such as Shortness of Breath; Pressure Ulcer (Braden Scale); Delirium (PRISME/CAMI); Dementia, (PIECES framework); Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD), GPA - Gentle Persuasion Approach; Dysphagia; Falls; Incontinence).
- Demonstrated ability in recognizing physical adaptations required to accommodate the frail elderly and/or physically impaired resident population.
- Demonstrated ability in End of Life care approaches, Embedding Palliative Approach in Long Term Care (EPAIRS) and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues. Proactively leads family/resident/Most Responsible Clinician discussions on goals of care and documents reflections of Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment.
- Demonstrated ability in Chronic Disease Management by being able to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated resident group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment such as lifts, oxygen, suction machines, pumps, and other related equipment.
Demonstrated ability in developing care plans and able to implement care in relation to resident and family priorities, including counselling and teaching residents and families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated skill in the assessment and management of residents with acute/chronic pain management including residents with Cognitive impairment.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of residents with Oxygen Therapy; VAC Dressing; Wound Care, Catheters, Ostomy Care, Tracheostomy Care, Ventilator Management, and other treatments.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols, outbreak protocols, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, acute event orders, etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.