|Job Title: ||Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse (RPN/RN)|
|Work Site: ||Gibsons Adult Tertiary Rehabilitation, Sumac Place - Gibsons, BC|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$35.53 - $46.65 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the Gibsons Adult Tertiary Rehabilitation team in Gibsons, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse with VCH you will:
- Provide individualized direct nursing care, discharge planning and case coordination services to a wide range of clients with severe and persistent mental illness, concurrent disorders and/or dementia and be responsible for the full range of clinical practice and the client-centred rehabilitation program.
- Enhance the quality of life of the client/family.
- Perform physical and psychosocial rehabilitation assessments.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care givers and family members to develop, implement, evaluate and modify individualized strength-based treatment plans.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Administer prescribed medicines, monitor client response and provide/demonstrate ongoing information to the client/family on activities of daily living, use of medication and side-effects and integration of illness to their lifestyle.
- Prepare and maintain client records according to established standards.
- Participate in team meetings, engage in team planning and quality improvement activities and maintain and update your own knowledge.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
ABOUT GIBSONS, BC:
Known as the “gateway to the Sunshine Coast”, located just north of Vancouver, Gibsons is a quaint town overlooking a harbour and features the beautiful backdrop of our coastal mountains. This charming municipality filled with artists, entrepreneurs, and fishing boats is just a scenic 40-minute ferry ride from West Vancouver followed by a short 5km drive from the Langdale ferry terminal. This area is home to the traditional territories of both the Squamish and Sechelt First Nations, and is ideal for residents seeking a relaxing blend of water and land activities. Enjoy an outdoor lifestyle with unlimited hiking, biking, golf, fishing and more in a community rich in culture.
ABOUT SUMAC PLACE
Sumac Place is a 28-bed specialized mental health facility located in Gibsons, B.C. It is part of Vancouver Coastal Health’s plan to meet the need for specialized mental health services throughout the region and serves clients from the Sunshine Coast as well as from other locations in the region. Sumac Place serves adult patients with complex mental illness who need further supports in order to optimize their independence and quality of life. Clients are stable and require specialized rehabilitation services as they continue on their recovery journey.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or a Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Completion of a minimum 6 week or 240 hours of clinical practicum/preceptorship in a mental health setting supplemented by completion of coursework in mental health or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of concurrent disorders, substance use and abuse, harm reduction strategies including assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of conceptual models of psychiatric care including: person and family centered care, trauma-informed care, recovery model in mental illness and psychosocial rehabilitation methodology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact of social, cultural and family systems on health outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments and interventions such as facilitating group process, conflict resolution, crisis interventions, individual and group counselling.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans and anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational programs and materials for clients and families based on education theories, principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in performing autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.